Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VeganBryan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
I keep getting this error (the one in the attachment) when I try to burn a DVD in Toast 7.0.2. Also, my DVD burner is very noisy when it tries to burn the lead-out. I'm on a Rev. B iMac G5 (the last one before iSight) 20" 2.0 GHz, running 10.4.4.

Does anyone know what this error means? I've burned CDs before, and I've burned a few data DVDs using Finder and Disk Utility.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 100

MinorBidoh

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2005
uk
ouch, im having big troubles with my toast7 as well. it was working perfectly and now all i get is this, whats it all about?

Attachments

• screenshot..jpg
    screenshot..jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 93

VeganBryan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
buffer underrun is turned on.

i have it set to "best" speed (it's an 8x drive i believe) and the format is DVD+R.

i am trying to burn a VIDEO_TS folder, which is 7.49 GB.

no, i haven't tried a different type of media.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
VeganBryan said:

i have it set to "best" speed (it's an 8x drive i believe) and the format is DVD+R.

wouldn't you need a DL burner and DL disc for that size file?

ok i think the Revision B iMac had a DL burner, are these DL discs your using?

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
eva01
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganBryan

wouldn't you need a DL burner and DL disc for that size file?

ok i think the Revision B iMac had a DL burner, are these DL discs your using?

Yep that would be why, to much info for a single dvd, 4.4GB is max.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
lordj4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger
Yep that would be why, to much info for a single dvd, 4.4GB is max.
Actually, thats Toast 7, it automatically re-compresses the dvd to fit. Even if it didn't though, it wouldn't even try to burn if there wasn't enough space.
Today 04:04 PM

Actually there is a flaw and it's in the screen shot. When the dvd goes to burn if you don't choose the DL in the lower right corner above the red candy like button, it will only try to put the info (even if it's 7.9GB) onto a 4.4GB disc or a DL disc and give an error.
You have to change that in-order to burn to DL and IIRC just by seeing the GB size as large as it is the compression is not set right or turned on.
Now if the Video_TS file hasn't been ripped (I rip all mine with MacTheRipper) then I'm not sure that it could compress it (copyright?)

VeganBryan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
i have auto-compression turned on and the thing in the bottom right-hand corner is set to "DVD". i am using single-layer discs.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
VeganBryan said:
i have auto-compression turned on and the thing in the bottom right-hand corner is set to "DVD". i am using single-layer discs.

Okay so it was "ripped" to the harddrive and then put through Toast 7 to compress? Did you need to put a set GB file size in for a final output, say like 4400, 4300 mb or anything like that? I think if it's not that it might be the media and you may want to try another brand and/or format (+/-R).
What type of media are you using? If you have a RW try that to save on making coasters.
Let us know some of these things and someone can help out more ;)

Revlimit Punk

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
Italy
I've seen both errors in my experience with toast.

To "VeganBryan": the only time i saw that kind of error, my dvd-rw drive was beginning to head south. It completely failed 3-4 days later and i had to change the whole drive. I hope this is not your case and it is just your drive going crazy once.

Edit: have you ever been able of burning a dvd disc with toast? If the answer is no, try again burning a dvd with the finder and then check if the contents are all readable. If the content is alright, you got a weird incompatibility software-wise with toast (but i am very doubtful it is so). Otherwise you probably have a defective drive.

To hamish holmes: i had that errors a few times in the past. I don't know if my diagnose is right, but since all the times it reported such an error i was using cheap media, i would think it is because the media is faulty. Everything's should be ok hardware and software wise, so don't worry too much about it.

Edit: if the error persists or it is very frequent, try with higher quality media (Taiyo Yuden are my favourite brand when it comes to quality media)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.