DVD Burner

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Resist, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

New to the DVD burning thing and want to transfer all my old analog video to DVD. Bought a Sony DVDirect VRD-MC10 and am not sure which type of recordable DVD media to get or why one is better over the other. I currently use DVD+R media.

What I don't understand about burning a DVD is if I don't use up all the space on the disc, why I can't burn the remaining free area later. It seems you can only attempt the burn once and I don't get why this is the case. Seems like if there is empty space on the disc, because that area is not burned, I should be available to burn it later. Not like I'm trying to burn a used segment on the disk, like with a read/write DVD.

2. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Just did some reading about my Sony DVDirect and from what I can figure out I can add data to a burned DVD if I don't finalize the disc. Once the DVD is finalized then you can't add data to it. But if it is not finalized then it can't be played on other devices. This is good news as I wondered how I would be able to add data later and use all the space on a DVD, not wasting discs.

3. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Been playing around with the DVDirect MC10 and the quality to DVD isn't as good as playing the video out of the camcorder. If I use a higher quality setting on the DVDirect then 2 hour tape will not fit on a 2 hour DVD.