Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidwes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Hi. I do dance films and I want to start burning them to dvds. My girlfriend has a powerbook G4 12 inch not sure what the speed is, something over 1ghz and 512mb of ram, 10.3.9 with ilife 05. I am thinking of using her computer, buying ilife 06, and a dvd burner.

First off, what external dvd burners will work with idvd? Around how much should I expect to pay?

How much would a used powerbook/ibook with a dvd burner cost? I could use my own but I really can't afford it. I'm trying to start burning dvd's with 300 dollars or less, but I am willing to spend alittle more if I can get my own computer. i just can't even afford the 999 for a new ibook.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
If you want an external. they can be had for about $100 from OWC. They also have internal replacements as well - which would be my choice.

You will need iLife '06 to use most external DVD burners. Skip the used model since you can get a burner for much less.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
davidwes said:
Hi. I do dance films and I want to start burning them to dvds. My girlfriend has a powerbook G4 12 inch not sure what the speed is, something over 1ghz and 512mb of ram, 10.3.9 with ilife 05. I am thinking of using her computer, buying ilife 06, and a dvd burner.

First off, what external dvd burners will work with idvd? Around how much should I expect to pay?

How much would a used powerbook/ibook with a dvd burner cost? I could use my own but I really can't afford it. I'm trying to start burning dvd's with 300 dollars or less, but I am willing to spend alittle more if I can get my own computer. i just can't even afford the 999 for a new ibook.

I don't believe iLife 06 is supported in G3 machines, btw; and check to see if your gf's pb doesn't already have a superdrive. You can pick up an internal burner for 160 bucks or so for her computer but then you'd have to have it installed. I guess the external one is the way to go.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Hi, I have the FW LaCie Porsche dvd burner (16x, 4xDL) and it came with Toast (if you need Toast this is a great way to go) as the price was really good and I didn't need to install PatchBurn (this lets it burn using the iLife Apps.) as LaCie has it's own drivers to use the iLife Apps (iLife '05 and before).
http://www.lacie.com/products/clearance/products/?id=10008
They have one here for $69 US (great deal :D ) but they also have new ones. Just look for Toast 7 or it may only come with the lite version if that's what you need.
Since iMovie and iDVD can handle video from your home stuff Toast makes making multiple copies a dream...don't get me wrong you can do this with iDVD and whatnot it just depends what your looking to do in the long run.
If your going to be making "many" copies of dvds/cds then go with an external drive for the wear and tear. Other than that enjoy and happy burning :D

davidwes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
I am sorry. Can you explain what PatchBurn is? I though idvd would work normally with external dvd burners.

Also why would you recommend toast over idvd? I have used my girlfriends idvd (i came with the computer even though it was only a cd writer/dvd player.) It is so easy and the designs are great. Does toast do a good job of allowing you to use your own designs? Does it automatically make the chapters appear in a scene selection screen?

I do hope to make many dvd's, but not necesserily alot of the same dvd. at the most 6 per dvd (I have six cast members)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
davidwes said:
I am sorry. Can you explain what PatchBurn is? I though idvd would work normally with external dvd burners.
PatchBurn was needed for iLife 05 or earlier to use third party burners. Not needed for iLife '06.

B

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
davidwes said:

Also why would you recommend toast over idvd? I have used my girlfriends idvd (i came with the computer even though it was only a cd writer/dvd player.) It is so easy and the designs are great. Does toast do a good job of allowing you to use your own designs? Does it automatically make the chapters appear in a scene selection screen?

I do hope to make many dvd's, but not necesserily alot of the same dvd. at the most 6 per dvd (I have six cast members)

Hi, I mentioned Toast only due to the fact that if you made a dvd using iDVD and then wanted to make a lot of copies (sorry if you didn't mean this) of that same dvd Toast will ask you how many copies you want. Then you just keep putting blank dvds in until your done.
I replied to this because I did my gfs dance recital one year, made the movie of it in iDVD and then used Toast to make 225 copies for her classes families and the studio. For the actual making of such things I think iDVD does a great job but for "many copies" I like Toast, for only converting or making a single (or a few dvds) I'd stick with iDVD, so I hope this part makes better sense :eek:

davidwes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Artful Dodger said:
Hi, I mentioned Toast only due to the fact that if you made a dvd using iDVD and then wanted to make a lot of copies (sorry if you didn't mean this) of that same dvd Toast will ask you how many copies you want. Then you just keep putting blank dvds in until your done.
I replied to this because I did my gfs dance recital one year, made the movie of it in iDVD and then used Toast to make 225 copies for her classes families and the studio. For the actual making of such things I think iDVD does a great job but for "many copies" I like Toast, for only converting or making a single (or a few dvds) I'd stick with iDVD, so I hope this part makes better sense :eek:

Okay I think i understand. Since I have never actually gotten to burn anything with idvd, just make the discs I don't know what it is like. So toast will burn the idvd project if I did want to make mulitple copies, but still use idvd to design it? I am going to see if there is a market for my dances on dvd, maybe I'll try to sell them at my shows so it would be nice to easily make multiple copies.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
davidwes said:
So toast will burn the idvd project if I did want to make mulitple copies, but still use idvd to design it?
One of the output options from iDVD is to burn an ISO image from your project. Think of that as your disc master. Keep that file around and you can create as many copies of the disc as you'd like. You could use Toast or Disc Utility or even send that ISO to a third party for them to burn or press on higher volume equipment.

Note that you could alwys just extract the ISO from a burned disc if you chose to burn directly or wanted to keep a disc as your master to get the ISO file off your HD.

B

Vaphoron

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2004
Maryland
I have a LaCie d2 drive that I am very happy with. I too would stay far away from Lite On drives because I had a bad experience with one.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
balamw said:
One of the output options from iDVD is to burn an ISO image from your project. Think of that as your disc master. Keep that file around and you can create as many copies of the disc as you'd like. You could use Toast or Disc Utility or even send that ISO to a third party for them to burn or press on higher volume equipment.

Note that you could alwys just extract the ISO from a burned disc if you chose to burn directly or wanted to keep a disc as your master to get the ISO file off your HD.

B

Great advice, I would say try getting someone to press them but most shops that do this have a min. of about 500 (If you need 500-1000 dvds then I'd do it) so that's why the one time I didn't. Of course 225 DVDs later and going crazy using two burners at once was somewhat interesting :cool:
Anyway the ISO method can be your best friend, just keep in mind iDVD has a size and time limit as to what can be put on a single layer DVD (the exact specs. are on the Apple webpage). I wonder if that's part of your problem, either time is too long (over 2-2.5hrs) or the GB (over 4.4GB on a single layer dvd) is too much?
Good luck and if need be post again ;) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.