DVD burning and copying

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ViperDesign, Aug 22, 2007.

1. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

I like to have backup's of my dvd collection and I just made the move over to apple.

Please can someone point me in the right direction whether it is free or paid I don't care. But I need to be able to copy then burn the dvd.

Any help is always greatly appreciated.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Echo that on mactheripper. I prefer Toast to Popcorn because it can do lots more than movies, but it's more expensive too, so that's just a choice - either will do for movies.

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

5. sarah3585 macrumors regular

sarah3585

6. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I just use Disk Utility to burn. MacTheRipper to rip, DVD2OneX to compress and create a disk image (that one isn't free), and disk utility to burn.

7. sarah3585 macrumors regular

sarah3585

I have mac the ripper but there is no way of doing all the rest with a free program?

8. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Depends. If you have a dual-layer burner and want to spring for dual-layer discs, then you can skip the compression part. It than case, MactheRipper, then DVD Imager to create a usable disk image of the ripped Video_TS folder, then Disk Utility to burn. That's all free.

However, I don't know of a free program that can take the ripped movie and compress it down to fit on a standard DVD. DVD2OneX and Popcorn both do it, but they both cost. There might be a free program that works, but I don't know of one.

9. sarah3585 macrumors regular

sarah3585

Thansk for the help. I didn't know any macs came with dual layer dvd burners.

10. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I think most of the current Superdrives are dual-layer burners. Maybe the older ones, too.

11. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

All of the current models which ship with Superdrives have double-layer drives. Double-layer drives are cheap as dirt these days.