DVD Burning Help...Desperate

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by theperipheral, Jan 20, 2008.

1. theperipheral macrumors 6502

Ok, I've got some .avi files that I need to burn to DVD. They range in size from 700mb-1gig.

I tried Toast first and for some reason, when I burn them there they play on my DVD Player which supports DivX files and all of that stuff but when I try it on a normal DVD player, it goes to a black screen and does nothing.

So, I looked up more info and found Visualhub. This program works perfectly. It burns my avi's and they play on every DVD player in my house. The problem is that the guy who made VH was too dumb to include the ability to make a menu or to separate the files into chapters.

Now, first of all, can anybody think of why the avi wouldn't burn correctly in Toast? It plays perfectly in quicktime and burns perfectly with visualhub, but with Toast it just won't work.

Can anybody give me a good solution to this problem? I need to burn these files to DVDS for my family (they are vacation videos) and I'm getting to the point where I'm losing my mind and I need something that will be able to at least do chapters.

2. Mernak macrumors 6502

VisualHub uses chapters to separate files, at least when I used it (a while back). Toast should also be able to convert the files to play in a normal DVD player, you may have to check a setting somewhere to choose what type of dvd to make, a DivX or MPEG-2(Normal).

Note : MPEG-2 takes up more space for the same quality, so you may want to burn less on one dvd than is possible in Toast.