dvd burning question!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nilserb, May 23, 2009.

1. nilserb macrumors newbie

I just recently got my mac. Its been s struggle but I love it! Few problems though. Firstly, how do I put movies from my computer onto a dvd? Make up a dvd that can play in a dvd player. Its a blu ray player, im not sure if that makes a diff, think I just have to check what types of files it plays and change them accordingly. So how do i burn a movie onto a dvd?

Other question, Im having a problem with my wireless internet. My macbook works fine everywhere else and nobody else i live with have any problems. Just my computer in my house. The internets REALLY slow. I rang NTL and they said its your computer, so rang apple and they did some tests and said its your network so I rang NTL again and they gave me a number for netgear, the people who make the router. They were NO help, you can't call them from a mobile phone and I dont have a housephone. Is there anything I can do?

Id appreciate any help I can get!! :)

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I use toast titanium to burn DVDs. It works great for me. Or you can try iMovie. :) If your router b/g instead of n your speeds are going to be slower. Macs have built in wireless n.

3. nilserb thread starter macrumors newbie

brilliant, thanks, ill sort out toast.

how do u find out if the router is bg? whats bg? is it a common problem that the router isnt compatible? i need to ring them up now, need to fully understand so i know what to ask!

4. nilserb thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so its an N router. I rang the guy and he tried a few diff channels, nothing worked. They cant seem to figure it out!! Has anyone had this same problem??

5. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

What's your connection type; DSL, Cable modem? It doesn't matter how fast your router is if your connection to your ISP through your modem is slow.

I had this issue with my sister's new N router recently. It turned out the DSL modem she had was years old and was dragging the connection speed down. The ISP tech support couldn't believe she still had it and sent her a new one.

Check this thread for comparison purposes: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=435323&highlight=connection+speed&page=15

6. nilserb thread starter macrumors newbie

well the thing is, I dont think it could be that problem as other people in the house have no probs with theirs. theyre gettin good speeds. Is there some setting im over looking? Its such a pain in the ass!

7. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

But you never answered "jodelli" question What's your connection type; DSL, Cable modem? It doesn't matter how fast your router is if your connection to your ISP through your modem is slow.

The connection might make a difference. If it's DSL, is there others using the connection at the same time. This would slow it down.

8. nilserb thread starter macrumors newbie

what is DSL? There are other people using the network, 3 people that i live with, but their internet is fast, all of them. Mine is really slow. Seems like more of a fault rahter than just a sharing problem.

9. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

DSL is an internet connection. What do you have? Cable, DSL, Dial-up???

10. nilserb thread starter macrumors newbie

its def not dial up! I dont know, I dont sort out any of that stuff, whats the diff between cable and dsl? how would i know which is which? is dsl wireless and cable is not?

11. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I have wired DSL but Cable is faster. I am happy with DSL but when I download something the internet slows down. Even loading web pages. Ask who ever has the modem to the internet if it is DSL or cable?

12. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

If you mean you want to back up commercial DVD's THAT YOU OWN (i.e. not ones you shot your self), to get the DVD on to your computer you'll need to "rip" it"

Toast WILL NOT rip commercial DVD's (Though once you've ripped a DVD onto your computer it is great at burning movie back to DVD disks)

The most popular ripping software for Mac (for backing up commercial DVD's) include Mac The Ripper (creates a video_ts folder on your computer, good for burning back to DVD disks) or Handbrake (good for encoding the movie to other formats, if you wat to watch the movie on the computer or transfer to another device such as a iPhone, apple TV, PSP e.t.c.)

In order to copy DVD's with Handbrake you will also need to get VLC media player (for decryption purposes).

All three programs are free. Search the forum here for further details about them using google.:

http://mroogle.*************/