DVD Burning Trouble

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by westproductionz, Apr 25, 2008.

1. westproductionz macrumors newbie

westproductionz

I have a mini mac, so it did not come with a DVD burner. I purchased a Sony for $110 and I am not very happy with it. It works fine on my computer, but it takes a ridiculous amount of time to burn.
    For instance, I am burning the movie Zoolander (an hour and a half long movie) from Toast 9. I began this morning at 10:00 AM, and it is now 1:30 AM. It's at 92%, so I have confidence it will finish, but is a whole day a reasonable amount of time to burn a movie? The actual "Writing" process takes about 5-10 minutes, but the majority of the time taken is used for "Encoding". Any thoughts?

2. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

probably a bad burn.

did you rip the encoding/protection with a dvd ripper first?

--Eric

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

thats Toast compressing the DVD to fit on a single layer disc. did you use MacTheRipper first and then use the Video_TS feature in Toast?
    how much space is Zoolander taking up on the disc? check this by selecting it on the desktop and pressing "command-I".

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Sounds like you are encoding to divx format which will take hours.

If you have ripped the dvd all you have to do is burn as dvd from the video_ts folder in Toast.

5. westproductionz thread starter macrumors newbie

westproductionz

No, it's an AVI format video. Someone sent it to me via iChat, and I simply dragged it to Toast to burn it.
    Is this the way it is for all AVI files..?

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

AVI tends to be divx format anyway (although it could be any format AVI is not a format as such ) - if you look down at the bottom left-hand corner of the Toast window there will be a drop-down for encoding - try with no encoding - should take 5 minutes to burn it. At the moment you must have DIVX encoding on - hence why it is taking so long.

What size is the file - 700MB or less - if so it will fit on to a blank cd and burn even quicker.

Have you tried watching it first - using VLC or QT ?