DVD burning w/ subtitles question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mochi, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Mochi macrumors newbie

Hi there all I am a new Mac user and any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. I have been trying to burn a DVD with iDVD with DVD player selectable subtitles and every time I burn a disc the subtitles are removed. The files I am adding to iDVD are mp4 with external .srt subtitles added to them via a re-encode with handbreak. Is there any way to preserve the subtitles and make them selectable on a DVD player? Thank you again for any response and sorry if this is in the wrong place.

2. obrien234, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010

obrien234 macrumors regular

From what I can tell you're asking if you can separate the subtitles and make them selectable within a DVD menu (like a professional DVD). iDVD does not support that type of functionality. The only way you'd be able to have subtitles is to encode them into the movie file (which it seems like you're already doing with handbrake). Alternatively, you could try really lowering the quality and putting two separate low quality tracks, one with subtitles and the other without.

The selectable subtitle functionality is available in DVD Studio Pro if you're willing to shell out the cash...

Edit: Forgot my source

3. Mochi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for the response. I will look into dvd studio, I was kinda hoping for a freeware fix but any help I get is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.