DVD burns won't verify?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macloven, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

I've been burning a bunch of pictures onto DVD +R's and they burn fine. But almost every time, the verify spits the disc out as unverifiable. I've tried a couple brands with the same results. When I load the rejected disc, it seems to read fine...is something wrong or is this a TADT situation?

thanks,

Mark

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Does the DVD drive take a while for it to spin up a disc? When you insert a disc, how long does it take to appear on the desktop? ANY disc, like a music CD, a game, DVD movie etc.

My MBP drive has that problem where it takes about 10 seconds for a dvd to appear on the desktop, so when the computer begins to verify, it'll try to read the disc but since it took so long to get ready it automatically assumes its bad.

(that's if you're using Finder to burn stuff) I use Toast Titanium to burn all my things, except that costs a bit.

3. Macloven thread starter macrumors regular

Macloven

Typically 15-20 seconds before a disc shows up on the desktop or itunes, etc. It's been that speed since new. Should it be faster? I hate taking machines apart if everything is "normal" but if this is a sign of a dying drive, will get it replaced.

btw, the verify error is typically happening about 30-40% of the way thru, so don't think it's the slow recognition issue.

Mark

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Well if they are getting spit out mid way I'm not sure, could be the drive. Try this, reinsert the unverifiable disk, open up Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities), select the disk in the list, goto menu "Images > Checksum > CRC-32 ...".

see what happens