DVD causes Disc Drive to crash

Discussion in 'iMac' started by The Valeyard, Feb 14, 2014.

1. The Valeyard macrumors member

Hi there again guys,

I've been trying to play this DVD I bought a few weeks ago but every time I put it in the drive spits it out. Furthermore, when I open Disk Utility or System Profiler after an attempt, all trace of an optical disc drive has vanished.

I've tried many other discs since to see if it was a drive problem but they work fine including the other disc in the same set (it was a 2-disc box set). To test whether it was a disc problem, I tried it in a DVD player and it plays fine.

Does anyone know where the fault may lie?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

So what you are saying is that you bought a set of two DVDs. One of which plays fine in a DVD player, but will not play in your Mac. The other plays in each. All other DVDs work fine in your Mac however.

My guess is that the particular DVD is corrupt. The only reason the DVD player can read is that it may have a higher fault tolerance, or the DVD is in some form of encryption? I am guessing you mean a DVD video so encryption shouldn't be the issue.

3. The Valeyard thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, it's a DVD video. Hmm, it does sound like a fault with the disc but I've always thought a computer had the higher level of tolerance when it came to optical media

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You can try cleaning using circular motions and a mild dilute solution of Brasso or similar abrasive product...follow the DVD's " grain " by wiping in a circle, not across the surface. Then rinse and dry thoroughly. It's no guaranteed fix, but I've bought a few back to life like this.

If that fails, replace it...it's just a DVD after all.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

no..other way around. a stand alone player has more tolerance than a computer.