DVD/CD drive clipping, clicking problem! Very sudden onset. :(

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MooMoo, Oct 1, 2009.

1. MooMoo macrumors newbie

Hi de ho. I just tried putting an audio Cd into my Macbook Pro, and was met with clicking and clunking, as though the internal hardware was struggling to read it, as it was also audibly starting and stopping spinning the CD before spitting it out, and the second CD sounded like it was being physically scrapped against something inside.

The CDs are spotless by the way, so I doubt its those.

I have no idea what could have caused this, it sounds to me like hardware failure but I base that purely on the struggling sounds its making. Im on Snow Leopard and the MBP is only 10 months old.

Any help or advice greatly appriciated. :)

2. Shownarou macrumors regular

I would take it into the apple store, still under the one year warranty right?

3. MooMoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure, I didnt buy it myself. Im fairly sure I filled something in online when I got it, would that have been the warranty?

We also don't have a decidated Apple store here, just an Apple retailer. :/

4. MooMoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, to make it all the more curious, just tried it with a DVD: absolutely fine, no clicking, no struggling. Tried it with another audio cd, and it was clicking and struggling. Did this 3 times and spat the CD out.

Gah! Any ideas at all??

5. MooMoo thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems blank CD's also wont work. So basically I have a no CD working problem.

Is this a driver issue then? I'd really appreciate ANY help, since I have no Apple shop near me, nor can I afford to get it fixed independently until the end of the month. :/