Dvd Coping Program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by POLICEPUG, Jun 6, 2009.

1. POLICEPUG macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am looking for a very easy program to copy DVD's that are encrypted. I realize this is illegal, but my daughter who is 3 loves to put them in and out of the dvd play herself. So I want to make a copy of the original so she can use the copy. I have tried toast, and a few others but none of them seem to work. I had DVD shrink on my last PC, but I have a MAC now and need an easy program.

Thanks in advance!

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

You may want to check out Handbrake, which can aid you in doing this.

Actually, after reading spinnerlys' comment below, that route is probably going to be the easier choice. While Handbrake will rip the DVD to a file that can easily be played back on your computer, you're wanting to make a duplicate copy of the disc itself, in which case you'll probably want to follow his steps.

Oh, and side note: Just so you know, typing "MAC" isn't the same as "Mac". When you type MAC in all capital letters, it actually means "Media Access Control", which is a term used in networking multiple computers together, including PCs. Sometimes it can just be a little confusing if you type the wrong one. :)

So, for future reference, just know that a Mac is a Mac... especially when asking tech questions online! (It looks better than typing all caps, too!)

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

MacTheRipper for copying/ripping the DVD contents to your HDD, circumventing the encryption.

Toast should be able to burn the created/copied folder with the Video_TS and Audio_TS folders.

4. POLICEPUG thread starter macrumors newbie

I am sorry this is all so confusing to me, I don't understand the lingo,

copying/ripping the DVD contents to your HDD, circumventing the encryption.

and
    burn the created/copied folder with the Video_TS and Audio_TS folders.

ps thanks for the exp on MAC vs Mac

5. POLICEPUG thread starter macrumors newbie

It is coping my dvd now on mac the ripper, thank you for your help! Crossing my fingers I can make this work!

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You have a video DVD, that contains two folders at least, called Video_TS and Audio_TS, of which the Video_TS folder contains some files that end with .ifo, .vob and some other suffixes.

Those contain the index and video content of the video DVD, which has to be copied to your HDD if you wanna make backups of them.
    As most video DVDs have some kind of encryption, to prevent that copying, software is needed to circumvent that copy protection.

MacTheRipper is such a program, which copies (called ripping, also used when copying audio CDs) those two Audio_TS and Video_TS folder to a place you specify in the program and removes the encryption/copy protection.

When this ripping is done, you need to burn those two folder to another DVD (which has to be either a single-layer DVD with 4.37GB of capacity, or more likely you have to use a dual-layer DVD with almost double the capacity of a single-layer DVD - the exact size escapes me right now, but most movies need more than 4.37GB), for which you can use Toast, as you already seemed to have tried.

You can use the Video_TS preset to burn your folder, but as it seems it burns its own menu, which shouldn't do that much harm.
    You can always read the Toast Help to further your knowledge, and come back here for additional questions.

Has what I wrote helped you understand some "lingo"?

7. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Basically, there are a couple things you can do with DVDs. You can either play them back on a DVD player, or you can have the video on them converted so you can play it back on a computer.

One suggestion was Handbrake, which will take the video file off the DVD, and convert it to a type of file which can be played back on a computer. You see, a DVD has special types of video files on them, which only DVD players can read. So if you want copies of the videos on your computer, you have to convert them from "DVD language" to "computer language". After the conversion is done, you can then copy into iTunes, or play back on an iPod. However, you can't make a duplicate copy of a DVD using this method. You can only use it to copy the video to your computer for playback later.

So the other method was the suggestion to use MacTheRipper, which is a program that will take the video files off the DVD -- but NOT convert them. Because they're not converted, they can't be played back on your computer. However, they CAN be played back on a DVD player. What MacTheRipper will do is take the video files off the DVD and bypass the copy protection so that you can make a copy. After the files have been pulled off the DVD, you can use a DVD burner program, like Toast, to put those files onto a blank disc, and burn them.

EDIT: Well looks like spinnerlys beat me to it! :)

8. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

You can play the DVD files with OSX's DVD player application. In DVD player go to File > Open DVD Media and then choose the DVD folder you want to play. In 10.4 you'll need to choose the DVD folder's TS File and hit the play button, but in 10.5 just choose the folder with the title.

9. mikeschmeee macrumors 6502a

Sorry for bringing back an old thread but I'm in the same situation.
    I would like to make a direct copy of some DVD's that I own but I am in need of an application that does so on my MacBook.
    On my PC I used a program called DVDX Copy Platinum which I believe is no longer available. I still have my PC desktop and this program installed on it but I haven't turned that machine on for about a year now. lol.
    I inserted the DVD opened up the program clicked copy and off it goes. Once it's done copying it asks you to insert a blank DVD to burn then its finished.
    I would like an application that will do the same on my MacBook.
    I've been doing some research and the only program that comes close is Popcorn but it can only copy non-encrypted DVD's. Is there anything else out there?

if all else fails no worries I'll just use the PC to copy the DVD but I would like to use my MacBook for everything making my PC obsolete!

Thanks
    Mike

10. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

You can use a free application called Fairmount that will decrypt your DVD. You can then, copy the Video_TS folder from the mounted drive (that Fairmount creates) and put it on your computer. Oh, and if you don't already have the VLC media player, you must download the latest version before you can use Fairmount. Fairmount uses the decryption libraries from the VLC media player.

Once you've got the decrypted Video_TS folder, you can burn it to a DVD. Most DVDs these days are dual-layer, but if you don't have a dual-layer DVD (or your computer doesn't support burning to it), then you must use an application that compresses a dual-layer to a single-layer. For this, you can use DVD2One or DVDRemaster (both are not free).