DVD creation software

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by BlakTornado, Nov 24, 2007.

1. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

I'm looking for some good DVD creation software. I'm too poor to buy Final Cut Studio or Adobe Encore (Don't need Premiere since I'm going to be getting FCE) but iDVD just doesn't take the biscuit.
    Does anyone know of any good DVD creation software (That isn't too expensive, preferably) which allows me to have custom menus and play all buttons, etc?

All help appreciated.

2. -DH macrumors 65816

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Ah Final Cut Express is supposed to be used with iDVD. So you'd need Final Cut Pro for full DVD Burning

4. -DH macrumors 65816

Where'd you get that crazy idea? Final Cut Express and Final Cut Pro are video editing programs - NOT DVD authoring programs.

iDVD, DVD Studio Pro, Toast (and others) are DVD authoring/burning programs.

-DH

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

But Final Cut Pro comes with DVD Studio Pro ;)

Final Cut Express comes with other software too ;).

6. -DH macrumors 65816

Final Cut STUDIO comes with DVD Studio Pro AND Final Cut PRO.

But before apple rolled all of the "pro apps" into one bundle (Final Cut Studio), both Final Cut Pro AND DVD Studio Pro were available as independent programs and you can still find them available IF you look hard enough ... and there are always some used copies available.

The current version of Final Cut Express only comes with LiveType2 - NO DVD authoring software included. Older versions also came bundled with SoundTrack.

iDVD will work with files from iMovie, Final Cut Express, Final Cut Pro, QuickTime and many other sources - NOT just with FC Express as you claimed.

-DH

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yes I suppose I am wrong; however you can't buy it separately any more so you do seem to be being a little pedantic here.

8. -DH macrumors 65816

You "suppose" you're wrong? You ARE wrong; twice so far in this thread alone.

You CAN buy it separately ... used. I even provided a current link. And while I may be interpreted as being pedantic, you seem very intent on being obtuse.

-DH

9. BlakTornado thread starter Guest

BlakTornado

Ah, I didn't know Apple once offered it as a stand alone product (Which they still should do, in my opinion, for all the people who buy FCE but think iDVD isn't powerful enough for what they need) so I'll check ebay regularly to see if a copy crops up (I live in the UK, so unfortunately, I cannot buy the copy you posted)

Thank you for all the help :)

10. seany916 macrumors 6502

What's wrong with iDVD?

If you need more options in a disc creation program, perhaps you would be better served with a better editing program as well.

IMHO:
    Either upgrade to Studio 2 or stick with what your computer already has. Buying your needs "one step up" at a time is a costly way to end up with the same end result anyway (with a bunch of other stuff that Studio 2 will replace anyway).

DVDSP & Soundtrack Pro are my 2 favorite programs in the Studio 2 Package. In my opinion, those 2 programs by themselves are worth the $1,300.

If you're getting serious about your work, make the jump. Otherwise, stick with what you've already got. But don't "upgrade" a little bit at a time. Waste of money.

Just one internet poster's experience. In the end, do what works for YOU.