dvd daughterboard question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gsmithp, Mar 11, 2009.

1. gsmithp macrumors newbie

Good morning all. My 500MHz iMac G3 (512mb ram) came with a cd-rw drive and I found a slot load dvd-rom for it on ebay and put it in no problem. I upgraded the 20gb harddrive to an ide 80gb at the same time as long as I had it apart. Put it together, pressed 'c' during reboot with restore disc in the new drive and OS X loaded smooth as silk. I'm feeling pretty smug at this point. Then decided to test new dvd drive with Enemy at the Gates dvd movie. It started the movie just fine but the image seemed pretty dark. Actually the entire dvd was extremely dark as though the movie was shot at night with no lighting. In comparison, the images from the original cd-rw were great and the display in general is much brighter (for a 5 yr old crt). Now then...since my eMac was originally configured with a cd-rw drive could it be that the graphics add-on dvd daughterboard is not present thus causing my poor dvd performance?? The drive works fine mechanically but it needs a boost in the image intensity. Question, I guess, is: did all iMacs of this vintage come with the graphics add on daughterboard or just the dvd versions? I found one on ebay from the same seller of my drive but don't know if I need one yet or maybe the drive is just bad. Sorry for the long post..I tend to ramble. Thanks every one!

2. gsmithp thread starter macrumors newbie

Guess I'll make it shorter. Has anyone else here upgraded a 500ghz G3 iMac from a slot load cd-rw drive to a slot load dvd-rom drive and if so what problems and solutions did you come up with?:confused: