DVD DL w/ Lightscribe....suggestions?

zagato27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
1,299
1,050
The Hill
I've got a G5 with a superdrive. I would like to upgrade the drive to a DL with lightscribe. Thought I'd found the perfect solution: LG DL external with lightscribe BUT it's not Mac compatible:( . Anyone know of any DL burners with lightscribe that are Mac compatible? I'd be interested in a internal IF someone could convince me that it is feasible for me, a rank novice with computers, to remove and install an internal DVD DL to replace my superdrive. Thanks in advance. Cheers
 

cube

macrumors P6
May 10, 2004
16,436
4,448
What do you mean the LG is not Mac compatible? I have a 4163B here connected to my Cube (this one does not have LightScribe).

Now for LightScribe, you would need some third party software, which does exist. (As I haven't tried this, I would check with the software vendor first, out of paranoia, if it should work generically with basically any LightScribe drive).

Of course, to patch firmware, I think you need a PC.
 

zagato27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
1,299
1,050
The Hill
cube said:
What do you mean the LG is not Mac compatible? I have a 4163B here connected to my Cube (this one does not have LightScribe).

Now for LightScribe, you would need some third party software, which does exist. (As I haven't tried this, I would check with the software vendor first, out of paranoia, if it should work generically with basically any LightScribe drive).

Of course, to patch firmware, I think you need a PC.
Just got back from Best Buy, and the LG external (sorry I don't have the model number but it's probably the latest DVD DL +/- etc.) I was referring to says Windows requirements but nothing about Mac compatibility.
 

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
2,745
0
fig tree
lacie makes one. it's like $100 from newegg if you're in the us.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827187033 but they're out of stock.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827101642 is the one i have in my pc. it's a benq drive and it's $53 dollars but i dont know about mac compatibility. if you need it external you can just get a firewire case.
edit: installing an internal drive is easy in your average cluttered pc case so i'm sure it'd be fine in a power mac g5 tower.
 

cube

macrumors P6
May 10, 2004
16,436
4,448
zagato27 said:
Just got back from Best Buy, and the LG external (sorry I don't have the model number but it's probably the latest DVD DL +/- etc.) I was referring to says Windows requirements but nothing about Mac compatibility.
LG only cares about Windows. That doesn't mean they don't work with other platforms (again, not sure about the LightScribe).

The LaCie doesn't have DVD-RAM (that's why I only buy LG).
 

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2003
676
0
Kalifornia
I use a LaCie d2 external drive with LightScribe and it works fine with my PowerBook. I don't know of any internal ones that use LightScribe.

I like the LightScribe but I've found that the disks are still kind of a novelty. Best Buy and CompUSA usually don't seem to have LightScribe compatible CD's and DVD's in stock and when they do they are a bit expensive. I think they were still about $1.00 a CD the last time I bought some, I don't remember the cost of the DVD's.
 

zagato27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
1,299
1,050
The Hill
cube said:
LG only cares about Windows. That doesn't mean they don't work with other platforms (again, not sure about the LightScribe).

The LaCie doesn't have DVD-RAM (that's why I only buy LG).
What's the advantage of DVD-RAM?
 

zagato27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
1,299
1,050
The Hill
erickkoch said:
I use a LaCie d2 external drive with LightScribe and it works fine with my PowerBook. I don't know of any internal ones that use LightScribe.

I like the LightScribe but I've found that the disks are still kind of a novelty. Best Buy and CompUSA usually don't seem to have LightScribe compatible CD's and DVD's in stock and when they do they are a bit expensive. I think they were still about $1.00 a CD the last time I bought some, I don't remember the cost of the DVD's.
Just checked out LaCie site. The LaCie d2 DVD±RW with LightScribe looks good, Mac compatible. Their latest version is being bundled with Toast 7 Titanium. Sounds pretty neat. An external is looking better than replacing my superdrive. The LaCie would be able to work with my son's PC and wife's iBook. Thinking hard bout this one. Thanks to all for your input and possibly heading me in the right direction. Cheers
 

cube

macrumors P6
May 10, 2004
16,436
4,448
zagato27 said:
What's the advantage of DVD-RAM?
- Greater reliability: Hardware verification of data as it is written. Bad sectors are marked as unusable, not written to.
- DVD-RAM lasts at least 30 years
- DVD-RAM can be rewritten more than 100000 times (DVD-+RW about 1000)
- Works like a hard disk. You just drag files to it and that's it. No burning process. You can add/move/remove files/directories to a disk in as many sessions as you want, not having to burn everything at the same time.
- Fast access to small files
 

cube

macrumors P6
May 10, 2004
16,436
4,448
zagato27 said:
The LaCie would be able to work with my son's PC
So you have a PC to keep current with firmware. Now you should ask this people if LightScribe should work with any LightScribe drive and tell us.
 

zagato27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
1,299
1,050
The Hill
cube said:
- Greater reliability: Hardware verification of data as it is written. Bad sectors are marked as unusable, not written to.
- DVD-RAM lasts at least 30 years
- DVD-RAM can be rewritten more than 100000 times (DVD-+RW about 1000)
- Works like a hard disk. You just drag files to it and that's it. No burning process. You can add/move/remove files/directories to a disk in as many sessions as you want, not having to burn everything at the same time.
- Fast access to small files
WOW! Learn something everyday:) , thanks for the info. More stuff to ponder. Darn if the LaCie does not support DVD-RAM:( . Even though the LG that I was originally looking at does support DVD-RAM I'm thinking that the LaCie might be the better way to go in that it is Mac compatible right out of the box. A bit worried about the software workaround mentioned earlier. Cheers
 

zagato27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
1,299
1,050
The Hill
cube said:
So you have a PC to keep current with firmware. Now you should ask this people if LightScribe should work with any LightScribe drive and tell us.
Nice tip, thanks. If and when I get going on this I'll report back. Cheers
 

cube

macrumors P6
May 10, 2004
16,436
4,448
zagato27 said:
I'm thinking that the LaCie might be the better way to go in that it is Mac compatible right out of the box. A bit worried about the software workaround mentioned earlier.
From xlr8yourmac.com:

"unlike previous OS versions, OS X 10.4.x/tiger usually has basic iApps burn support for most drives without needing a Patchburn 4 profile, but sometimes patchburn is useful if some media (like DVD-RAM) isn't supported by default."

I don't know if DVD-RAM works with my LG wihout patchburn, as the first thing I did after connecting the drive was to install this software.
 

MacAficionado

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
435
0
An awesome place
Funny, you can download the LaCie Lightscribe Labeler software here:

http://www.lacie.com/support/drivers/index.htm

Choose Product Family: DVD

I wonder if that would make the Lightscribe feature in the LG model work. I'm pretty sure the burning should work, but the Lightscribe you need the App. It would be interesting to see if that would work.

But anyway, LaCie Burners are awesomw and Toast is a great addition to the package. I got it with Toast 6 and then I just had to have v.7 when it came out, so I got it. You won't regret it.
 

cube

macrumors P6
May 10, 2004
16,436
4,448
cube said:
I don't know if DVD-RAM works with my LG wihout patchburn, as the first thing I did after connecting the drive was to install this software.
I removed the Patchburn profiles and DVD-RAM still works, even from iTunes.
 

cube

macrumors P6
May 10, 2004
16,436
4,448
Here is what you are looking for (from xlr8yourmac.com):

Reviewer's Name: Jacob
Date Submitted: 10/8/2005
Drive Type: DVD+R/RW + DVD-R/RW Drives
Drive Interface: USB
Drive Brand: LG
Drive Model Number: GSA-2166D 16x DVD+/- R, 8x DVD +/- RW, 6x DVD-RW, 5x DVD-RAM, 4x DVD-R DL, 8x DVD+R DL
Driver Used: Patchburn 4
Mac Model: Apple Mac Mini
Mac OS Version: OS X 10.4
Reader Comments: I am running Mac OS 10.4.2 with the latest patches. This external drive is a super-multidrive with lightscribe support, I was able to use it's lightscribe feature successfully with disclabel and the LS hp 1.4.44.1 lightscribe driver for OS X from HP.
Although the program LaCie lightscribe labeler doesnt work, I think most likely because it requires a specific LaCie DVD burner.
(FYI - Lacie doesn't make drives (they use various OEM drive mechanisms), but their software may key on the case bridge ID, etc. - BTW - one past reader report said the 1.0 version of their lightscribe software worked with his non-lacie cased drive but later updates to it didn't-Mike)
I was able to use this drive with iLife and discburner using Patchburn 4.x without any problems, however I didnt perform any tests when it comes to speed.
Toast Titanium 6.1.1 works without a problem with this drive.
Because of its USB-2 interface its non-bootable on the Mac Mini.

Mike Comments: Personally I'd always choose Firewire over USB 2.0 for Mac use. (better performance usually although that's most noticeable for hard drives)
I suspect the Patchburn was superfluous, like in my case.
If you want FireWire, you would have to put a 4166B in a FireWire case. It is possible in this case that you would have to remove it from the enclosure and put it inside the PC when you want to update firmware.
 

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
cube has great info and just to add some about Lightscribe, the label is applied only as fast as the dvd/cd will allow and faster media for Lightscribe labeling is on it's way. The speed as to which it labels is about 20-30 mins and may need to be burned two times to get the look you want. Some sites for dvd/cd buying (I buy my stuff here and have had very good CS from them) www.supermediastore.com
If you have Toast then an external burner (burner/case of choice) is a great way to go but if not as it's a simple figure, buying from LaCie or say Plextor can have Toast 7 with it so the true cost of the unit is well...$50-80 less, as a different way to view it.
DVD-RAM is nice and my LaCie doesn't have it but that was my choice. Since you may have iLife 05' no need for patchburn as stated before and last of my stop on a dime and give you nine cents change, if you buy a burner that has everything (case/burner/Toast/FW/USB) when you need a new drive just pull out the old and in with the new ;) :D
 

amontE

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2005
2
0
Help with hp driver

I bought an hp dvd640e external dvd for my mac . I've been following your here and I can't find the LS hp 1.4.44.1 driver on HP's website. Can anyone please give me a link or email me at andymonte@gmail.com. I really want to burn labels directly to the disc.I'm using patchburn already so i don't have problems writing to the disc, but disclabel can't detect the drive whether attached via usb 2 or firewire. Your help is greatly needed and appreciated.By the way I'm using an iMac g5. Can you also teach me how to install the driver? Again thank you.
 

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
391
72
cube said:
The LaCie d2 is actually a NEC ND-2510A.
There have been several revs of the lacie d2 with many different
drives in it. I think now it's a benq drive.

I have a lacie d2 drive (w/nec nd-2500a) and it's great. I highly
recommend the lacie external drive, at least the ones with NEC
drives in them. NEC is the new Plextor if you ask me.

I really would love to get a lightscribe drive, but there are only
a few manufacturers making media (hp,tdk,verbatim) and the media
is ridiculously expensive. Until I can get unbranded Taiyo-Yuden
lightscribe disc <$1 per dvd, forget it.

I recommend a cheap epson printer with cd/dvd inket printing
and an NEC 3540a internal burner until then...

Good Luck