DVD Drive disappeared

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by shellbryson, Sep 13, 2007.

1. shellbryson macrumors 6502

shellbryson

Well, okay that's weird. After adding a 4th internal drive into my Mac Pro, my internal DVD drive (the one shipped with the machine) has vanished... I've shut down, rebooted, repaired... many times. But the DVD drive has vanished! No icon on my desktop, nothing at all.

However, if I fire up Toast8, it happily sees the drive, can eject and burn discs...

Can anyone suggest how to get the disk back onto my desktop?

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Have you tried putting a disk in the drive and seeing if it shows up on the desktop?

3. shellbryson thread starter macrumors 6502

shellbryson

Good point! I just tried. If I eject the drive in Toast, put a disc that has data on it into the drive, the disc DOES appear on the desktop. Seems to OSX itself has "forgotten" I have a drive until Toast8 lets me add the disc.

So how to get the drive to re-appear in finder + iTunes? Weird issue!

4. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Click on finder preferences>sidebar and make sure CD's and DVD's are selected.

5. shellbryson thread starter macrumors 6502

shellbryson

Yep they are.

Also to note; the eject button on my keyboard no longer works (so I cannot open the drive to put a disk in, other than by opening Toast8 and ejecting via there), and the little Eject CD thing that used to be in the bar across the top of the screen has vanished too!

I think my Mac is going mad :)

6. peck2000 macrumors newbie

DVD Drive disappeared

Shellbryson

I'm having similar problems after adding a second internal DVD burner to my G4 Dual 1.25 (see my thread "Mac G4: trouble mounting drives").

Something I saw on another board was to the effect that some drives will go to sleep and not wake up given certain circumstances.

So try going into Energy Saver and unchecking the box that reads "Put hard drives to sleep when possible". This will at least extend the wake period of your drives (hard and optical) to three hours rather than the default 15mins)

This may help, or it may not, but please report back and see if it helps you. I've not been testing this workaround long enough to know if it has worked for me!