DVD drive failed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ert3, Jul 25, 2009.

1. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

WheneverI put a disk into the dvd drive I just get this clicking noise so I guess its time to replace it.

I don't have the cash right now for a new drive inside the mac so I figure I can use an external one.

Found out that this works for the MBA http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136166

But I am worried becuase I don't own a Mac Book Air.

Is there some sort of list of external drives that work with OSX or will I have to hope that the Mac Book Air doesn't get preferential drivers for external Disk drives.

If not I'll just have to scrounge around for the 250 to replace the drive in my mac.

2. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I'd spend my money on a internal one, personally if its a laptop. But for a cheaper option, DVD drives are generic, PC or Mac. But apparently Apple's drive for the Air doesn't play well with others.

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

My drive went in my laptop and I cant send it in for repair yet cause I'm overseas but I use a little $50 samsung external dvd burner. Works flawlessly.

Also any peripheral will work with a mac, even if they say "windows only" like my dinovo edge keyboard, and mouse, and speakers, etc.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

the drive isn't MBA specific; it's just an external DVD drive and will work on most any system.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151184

It works like a native drive, and is bus powered. It comes with a 2 headed USB cable, but I know I can run it with just one.