DVD drive issues on Macbook pro...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by crazydrumma, Sep 4, 2007.

1. crazydrumma macrumors regular

Hey guys, my DVD drive on my MBP is being really finicky with me lately, and I don't appreciate it, considering I work for my university in a media position. Here's the problem:
    Sometimes when I insert a DVD, it will not be recognized on the desktop. It will sit in the disk drive and then be ejected automatically after nothing happens. Sometimes, the DVD will work, but that is a very rare occurence.
    I can burn DVDs with no trouble whatsoever, and the disks that I have burned on my computer also work most of the time.

What is going on? Can anyone tell me? Also, if you DO know, does anyone know how much this would cost to repair? I unfortunately do not have applecare. Thanks so much!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you tried different brands of DVDs? Not all blank DVDs were created equally and sometimes you need to spend that little bit extra to get quality media to ensure it'll work.

3. crazydrumma thread starter macrumors regular

um, it's all DVDs and CDs, such as music and movies. I use the quality DVD-Rs that have always worked, so that's not the problem. Thanks, though! Any other suggestions?

4. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

couldn't you just buy applecare today and go in tomorrow and have them fix your problem? plus then you'd have another 3 years of applecare just in case something else happened.