DVD drive motor failure again

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arogge, Apr 5, 2014.

1. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

The DVD drive in my laptop has failed. I put the CD/DVD in, but the motor won't engage to take up the disc. I've been using it only occasionally, once two weeks ago to play a music CD, but now it's inoperable and all I wanted to do was watch a DVD movie.

This is the second Apple-laptop DVD drive to fail like this, and the fourth DVD drive on an Apple system to fail for other reasons related to motors. I have other CD/DVD drives that have lasted ten years of frequent usage and exposure to non-ideal conditions, but none of them are compatible with the Mac. What should I do about this? Leave it alone as deadweight, look for a replacement DVD drive, or put another hard drive in the slot if that's even possible?

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I found I almost never used mine and for the times that I did I could use one shared out from my Mini or iMac depending on where I was.

So out came the optical drive and in went an optical caddy and 120GB SSD....

3. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Personally I'd put an SSD in it's place and buy an external DVD/Blu-Ray drive.

4. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

Apple DVD drives were made by Matshita. The name says it all.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Not all of them. Some were made by Pioneer or Sony. All three models have their know defects and problems.