DVD Drive wont read my disks !

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by G-Funk, Sep 24, 2009.

1. G-Funk macrumors regular

G-Funk

I have the early 2006 17" first intel Macbook pro , My DVD drive stopped reading any Drive i put into , I've noticed that a couple of weeks back, but it would read them after a while.

Today I've tried installing SL on it and the drive keeps on spinning and spinning and the it would be ejected out , I've tried several times to no avail , tried switching users and it read the install DVD, pressed on install and it started installing , it required rebooting when the computer rebooted it stopped reading the drive!!

Tried remote disk method to no avail, it cannot read other disk drives on the same network while the other computers read its drive, I've made sure that the share DVD option from the sharing pane in system preferences was enabled on both machines...

This thing is really making me go nuts .. plz help :(:(:(

2. beaner454 macrumors regular

Well it sounds like your DVD drive is dying/dead. There are some things you can do like flashing the drive to a custom firmware that might fix it. But those tend to be last ditch efforts.

As far as installing snow leopard right now goes. From your sig I can see that you have a g5 tower, if you connect that machine to your MacBook Pro using firewire and then boot up the G5 while holding the "t" key your macbook pro will then be able to utilize your towers dvd-drive.

3. G-Funk thread starter macrumors regular

G-Funk

beaner454 : I've read on some other online forums that spraying compressed air inside the drives bay would help, haven't tried that , but the strangest thing is that it would read when i switch users, but once it reboots it stops reading, so your install is okay as long it doesn't require rebooting !!! :(

I don't use the drive that much , I only use it when i need to install DVD/CD based software or burn data DVD's! , The strange thing is that the same issue happened with my dad's Mac Mini that he barely use!!! :(