DVD drives "hang" under OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by yomibro, Jun 26, 2009.

1. yomibro macrumors regular

I recently noticed that my DVD drives "hang" when I don't use them for extended periods of time, when I press the open tray button on the keyboard (or use the icon on the menu bar) the drive tries to open (I can hear the tray pull out slightly) but then it doesn't fully extend the tray (bay door on the chassis slightly open).

A reboot will not fix this issue but a complete shutdown of the system and power-up will, it is the same for both of my SATA drives.

Anyone else has experienced this issue in their system?

2. dusanv macrumors 6502

Is the "Put disks to sleep" in "Energy Saver" in System Preferences on? If so, turn it off.

3. yomibro thread starter macrumors regular

I checked and I don't have that option selected

4. Mattww macrumors 6502

Mattww

I have experienced this a few times on my 2009 Mac Pro. I will have a DVD in the drive idle for a while and when pressing the eject button I get the eject icon and the icon disappears from the desktop, the tray however does not come out.

If you check disk utility at this point or another application like Toast to try and unmount the disc the drive no longer exists. I have two optical drives and the second one will remain visible.

The only solution I have found is to reboot - the symptom persists with a log out.

5. dusanv macrumors 6502

I've had that happen before I turned off the 'put disks to sleep' (bear in mind my model of MP is different from yours and I have PC firmware on my DVD drive). I didn't have to reboot though. I would press eject once to wake the drive from slumber (I heard it spin up but it would not eject) and when it reappeared on the desktop, I'd hit eject again. It would eject.

6. THeKiNGs macrumors newbie

Dunno if this count... i'm on hack with ICH10R and I have the same bug...
    My bet is that is something wrong on drivers...

7. Mattww macrumors 6502

Mattww

It looks like this has been around for a while:

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/actio...onse=answer.faq.lasso&-recordID=34171&-search

The drive that is doing it to me is a Pioneer-216. I left a DVD paused for 20 minutes or so and on return I got a "skipping over damaged areas" message and the DVD player app froze. In the console there were loads of data under run errors and disk utility no longer recognised the drive as present. I wonder if there is a firmware patch that would fix it - it just needs the drive not to sleep when a disk is present.