Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sotied

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2003
Boston
I can't get my G4 to read a DVD+ RW. Is this normal?

All I want to do is create a disk image and then burn a new disk for a friend.

**This is only of Tour de France footage that I 'burned' onto the DVD+ with an external, standalone burner.

I have Toast, I have disk utility, I have CCC...but the Mac won't even see the disk.

What can I do, I know I'm overlooking something very simple because the DVD burner in my G4 can burn DVD+ media.

Thanks,

Jeff

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Hi, what are you running 10.? I run 10.3.9 and haven't had any problems with burning as of yet. Also what ver. of Toast? To make your copy you had Toast open and that wouldn't read it if I understand your post. Have you put the dvd into the internal drive just for read purpose?
See my sig. as to what I use and what type of external are you using? If you have the most updates for the software it should read it. Give some extra info. and we'll go from there.. ;) ;)

sotied

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2003
Boston
System and application specs - DVD

OK. I'm running 10.39 on my iBook and I believe I've upgraded to the same on my Dual 867 G4.

The Superdrive in it is an aftermarket blessed to appear as a SuperDrive. It will burn ANY format.

I'm using Toast 6 Titanium.

I did try to just read it and iDVD started bouncing but didn't start up.

I'm going to go try that again - the read only - but if you have thoughts in the meantime, please post them.

Thanks,

Jeff

sotied

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2003
Boston
Nope Nope Nope

It is 10.39.

It didn't work in read only.

It showed up in Disk Utility for a moment then gave me an input/output error.

Help.

Thanks,

Jeff

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Try the disc in a different player (pc or Mac) and does it play?
I'm interested as to why iDVD wants to open and not DVD Player. Do you have the latest update (6.0.9) from Toast?
I think I might be missing something here so I'll check out my settings and get back :cool:

sotied

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2003
Boston
DVD Burning mistake

Sorry to tie up your brains for this.

I screwed up during my recording process and didn't 'finalize' the disks. It was that flaw that caused my disks to be unreadable in all my players and in my Macs.

My bad.

I still don't know why iDVD wanted to open up.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.