DVD for iPod Touch and iPod Classic

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Stevez0r, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Stevez0r macrumors member

Sorry if the title is misleading or if it's been ask already.

I currently have a bunch of my own DVD's sitting at home that I want to watch on my way to work, and my wife plans on getting either a nano or classic for her commute. My question is if use the preset in Handbrake for the iPod Touch, how will the movie look on the classic or nano? or will I have to use the iPod Hi or Lo preset for a separate file for my wife?

2. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I have dvds on my iPod Touch and some of them look better than on my SDTV but not my HDTV. Really depends on how old they are newer dvds look better than ones from 3 or more years ago.

3. ib4walrus macrumors regular

I think for best compatibility I would go and use the specs of the iPod that you have and not the Touch. IIRC, if the specs which you ripped are too much for the specific iPod to handle, then it would be reconverted once again in iTunes (need someone else to confirm for sure).
    Here's the specs for the two iPods (I would convert for the classic first and see if the nano is compatible with the rip):
    nano
    classic

4. Stevez0r thread starter macrumors member

Sorry I forgot to mention that I have an 8GB iPod Touch already. So basically the DVD's I ripped already for the Touch I would have to re rip for say the Classic?

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No. The iPod Hi Rez and iPhone/iPod touch presets work equally as well on the touch as on the classic.

The only time you'll notice a difference between the two in video quality is if you're outputting to a TV. The iPhone/iPod touch preset uses a lower resolution and bit rate than the iPod Hi Rez setting.