DVD formats

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Freak4Sneaks, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Freak4Sneaks macrumors member

i have movies on my itunes that are already formatted for my iphone. now im trying to burn them on a DVD. what format does the movie need to be in? can i use iDVD? if so how. and what free program can i use to format the movie in the right format for my dvd player.

thanks in advance.

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

For starters, if these are movies you bought from iTunes you won't be able to burn them to a DVD (you can burn the files to DVD, but not create a DVD playable on a DVD player). DVD requires the video to be in MPEG-2 format. I am not positive, but I think that iDVD will handle the conversion for you if they are a format that iDVD recognizes (MPEG-4, MPEG-2, DV, but not stuff like DivX).

3. Freak4Sneaks thread starter macrumors member

the files are in .avi format. and no these are not videos i bought from itunes. what software do i use to convert from .avi to mpeg-2 for my dvd player?

thanks again

4. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Try Handbrake or MPEG Streamclip.

5. Freak4Sneaks thread starter macrumors member

handbrake only lets me output the videos in mkv mp4 ogm.

6. Freak4Sneaks thread starter macrumors member

after i convert the file to the right format. how do i actually burn it on to the disc?

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I use VisualHub, but I don't think you can buy it anymore. You can also use Toast.