DVD image: Compress or not?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Piplodocus, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Piplodocus macrumors regular

I want to copy my wedding DVD to give to my folks, and also figured it's a good backup for myself. So I'd use disk utility to create an image on my HDD. Then burn it back to a blank DVD. Disk Utility has multiple image options though...

Since I want to burn it back to a DVD do I have to use "DVD/CD Master"? Or can I use "compressed" since I want to keep it and I'd rather it was smaller and took up less space?

Also, if I can compress it and still burn it back to DVD as a normal DVD that's playable in regular players, would compressed lose quality, or is it lossless compression? It's my wedding so is important and don't want to lose quality!!!

Thanks for your help. :)

2. simsaladimbamba

Is 4GB that much data for you to have the need to compress the DVD image?

Anyway, I have never used the Compression feature of Disk Utility when copying self-created video DVDs. I always used the CD/DVD Master option and fared more than well with it, though it was always for work, thus 4GB could be stored easily.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you want a copy on your computer and don't want to give up the space, you could also make a full size disc copy for the DVD, and then just Handbrake it to an H.264 file to keep on your compute....

(If it were me, I'd keep a full size backup on a hard disk somewhere... it's your wedding!)