DVD importing

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wayland1985, Apr 27, 2012.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

Hello all,
    I'm a new and first time iPad owner. I bought it for an upcoming trip to Europe.

The last time I went a few years ago, I was able to use MacTheRipper and handbrake to import my personal DVDs to iTunes, so I could watch them on my iPhone.

I have since wiped my hard drive, so I need to start over.

I know Mac the ripper is $20 now, but I wasn't sure if it was worth it... Is there another program? Or does Mac the ripper work that well? (I have no problem buying it, if it works, but I know before, it wasn't able to rip all of my DVDs. )

Thanks

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I use Mac DVDRipper Pro and it's great. I got it in one of those mac bundle offers and never even knew it was in there (got it mainly for Parallels). Anyhoo, it works great and I have yet to come across a DVD it couldn't rip. There's a free trial for this so might wanna check it out and see if it works for you.

3. urkel macrumors 68030

I use RipIt for DVDs but recently I learned how easy it is to rip blurays and I'm now spoiled from watching non-HD content on my AppleTV and iPad.

The drive I got was the LG CP40NG10 which is a USB drive and costs about $100. I just use MakeMKV to create the MKV file and then Handbrake using the AppleTV2 preset to make it a 720p file. The quality difference between 1080 and 720 is pretty small, but the quality difference between DVD rips and 720p is night and day so im done ripping/buying DVDs and am moving to buying all bluray.

4. xraytech macrumors 68020

Search is your friend

5. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

^This. MakeMKV works great for either DVD or blu-ray rips and is free while still in beta (go this this thread in the MakeMKV forums for the beta registration key).

I used RipIt in the past for my DVD collection and it also worked very well--probably couldn't handle the encryption on 2-3 out of a 100 disks. It isn't free but very affordable as mentioned, gets the job done.

With either of this rippers, I load the resulting rip file into Handbrake, select Apple TV 2 preset (and bump up resolution to 1080p if blu-ray) and let it do its thing.

6. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I'm pretty sure that I know the answer, but don't you have to buy an external blu ray drive to rip blu ray's on the Mac? MakeMKV doesn't work some magic were blu rays are recognized on an iMac's internal DVD drive, does it? Sorry if my question is dumb.

7. freedoor1 macrumors newbie

There are still free version of Mactheripper, it is just the free version MTR cannot work on Lion, so you need to paid for using Mactheripper pro on Mac Lion.

As for ripping DVDs, MTR (free version cannot work on Lion), Handbrake (free but require VLC), RipIt ($25 and less options), and of course other third-party DVD Ripper/Converter for Mac.

8. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

I second RipIt - I use it extensively and am very happy with it; and then convert with Handbrake or DVD Remaster Pro. All of them are robust and reasonably priced solutions that are well supported by their developers.

A an aside - if you have a VM or willing to play around with Wine, DVDCatalyst is one of the best conversion tools around (and only $10). It can convert, rename, and batch process DVDs and even does Blu-Ray conversions. No need to rip disks first. I have used it for years - starting with its pre-DVDCatalyst incarnation and am very happy with. In addition, the developer is very responsive to questions and user requests; and updates are free. Quite frankly, I like it so much I bought a second copy as a way of supporting an indie developer; even though my original version is still entitled to free upgrades.

Even if you have a Mac solution I recommend getting DVDCatalyst if you run Windows as well - I find it very useful for converting TV shows where the DVD has multiple episodes - I can renumber and convert all the episodes so that the resultant files already have the IMDB friendly name structure for use in PLEX.

9. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Why rip or convert when a decent app will just play it natively? Try AVHD