DVD in Macbook to TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boo-yee, Jan 7, 2008.

1. boo-yee macrumors newbie

How do I play a dvd thru my macbook on to my TV? What hardware do I need to do this? I have a 53" Panasonic projection TV and Girlfriend has a LCD.

2. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

i've literally just bought the equipment to do this, so i'll give you a run through. first check what inputs your tv has. DVI or HDMI are the best, as they're digital, but VGA or S video would work fine.

I used HDMI, so i first off bought an adapter from apple that goes mini dvi to dvi. then bought a dvi to hdmi cable. thats the video sorted. for audio, i bought a mini jack to stereo RCA and plugged them into the dedicated audio inputs from the minijack output from my macbook.

if your tv doesn't have audio inputs (i mean dedicated ones, your tv will probably have the standard yellow, white and red rca connections) then i think you will have to use S video, but i'm not entirely sure. because your audio will have to use that connection, so unless you can select to use the audio signal from those and video signal from somewhere else, you will have to use those.

sorry if some of that doesn't make sense, i've never been good at explaining things.

just to add, i paid around £40 for this equipment(apple adapter £15, dvi>hdmi cable £15, audio cable £10)

and another thing, anyone else think macbooks and pros would be better with just HDMI outputs? that way video and audio could just go straight out of the laptop and into the tv

3. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Can you go back from HDMI to DVI thought for computer displays ?

4. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

ive seen the 2 latter cables for cheaper (sorry mate!) in the UK, check online!

5. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

i've also seen the two cables for about £50 each, and probably more for the DVI > HDMI cable. it's all about quality of the cables, better quality cables means better quality picture. i've seen them for cheaper, but the quality seemed poor.