dvd initialization error 70013

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lorijj, May 18, 2008.

1. lorijj macrumors newbie

I have just bought a used powerbook g3 and upgraded it to osx 10.4.11.

I am new to mac, 20 odd years on pc.

I had to reformat and install hard drives and upgraded to 10.4.11 and the first time I tried to play a dvd (store bought or ripped) I get an error msg

"There was an initialization error. The current machine or system configuration is not supported [-70013]

I have tried Apple support and searched the internet for 3 days now to no avail. my player is version 4.6.5.

Any help would be appreciated as I am trying to get this movie thing happening so my husband who is stuck in bed with a back injury can at least watch a movie.
    thanks for any help
    Lori

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Go into the System Profiler and see what video card it has. There were problems with one of the software updates (graphics update) with certain mac models containing certain video cards like the NVidea card.

I ran into this myself on two pb g4 12" books which had that card. Anytime I launched DVD player, the system would either crash or hang.

The only recourse is to do another clean install, run Software update and apply all but the graphics update.