DVD install - don't want completely CLEAN install

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by andyffer, Jul 23, 2011.

1. andyffer macrumors member

I am burning the InstallESD.dmg to a DVD now (bought it again on my iMac and using it to burn to DVD) that I will put into my Macbook Pro to try to install Lion.

Now when I installed it right after it downloaded on my Macbook, it went into the Utility screen which scared me as it read that it would be a clean install as I didn't have a backup in Timemachine to go off of. I exited out and powered down and booted back up into 10.6.6 where I then clicked the install Lion again and it went all the way through, installed Lion, and put me at the Log In screen.
    All my files and everything were there, no problems.

I have thousands of pictures on here from all over the world and do not want to risk losing them and I want it to just as it did the second time with my Macbook.

What do I do?

-Also, I assume when I use the DVD on the Macbook Pro, it will ask me for the Apple ID and charge me another $30? That is fine as I just wanted to skip the download time from the App Store.

Thanks guy, appreciate all the help there is here

2. Keeval macrumors member

Keeval

Hi,

I've just done this - once you have burned your Disc boot up your MacBook Pro and log in - then pop the DVD in and from the DVD run the "Install Lion" app. It will probably download some stuff to the machine and then it will install.

All your apps, files etc.. will still be there - you will just be upgraded, and no your not charged twice - and the AppStore knows it is valid and shows as installed :)

Edit: It isn't downloading the whole thing - just some extra driver files etc.

3. andyffer thread starter macrumors member

So did you drag the whole app to the DVD so it burned it as a file/app?
    What I read/watched was them opening the contents and putting just the "InstallESD.dmg" in it via Disk Utility

4. Keeval macrumors member

Keeval

I burned an image to the DVD from inside Disk Utility and when it asked me for the file I selected the "InstallESD.dmg"

- Open the Install Lion Package (right click and select "Show Package Contents")
    - Inside the Contents > SharedSupport folder (I think that is the name) copy the "InstallESD.dmg" to your desktop.
    - Open Disk utility
    - Click Burn
    - Select "InstallESD.dmg"from your desktop

That will create you a bootable DVD - but don't boot your MacBook Pro from it - log in first and then run the "Install Lion" App from the DVD.. or it will think you want a clean install.

5. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

6. andyffer thread starter macrumors member

Hey this worked FLAWLESSLY. Great thanks!

Any way to sticky this?

7. Keeval macrumors member

Keeval

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's only a clean install if you wipe the hard drive with the Lion installer's Disk Utility app and then install Lion clean onto the drive. Doing an upgrade from a USB key or DVD made from the installer image is exactly the same as doing it from the application itself.