DVD installed Aperture

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by billhinge, Jan 12, 2014.

1. billhinge macrumors newbie

Hi

I have a dvd installed version of Aperture 3.4.5 and I'm on Mavericks (tried deleting and reinstalling and that didn't work)

current version of Aperture is 3.4.5 but I want to update to 3.5.1

Appstore shows the update as being available but fails - it says

"This update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or cancelled."

I actually paid the full price for this app as a DVD install pre Appstore, not the cut price app store version price

I seem to recall seeing an apple site in which you could associate pre App store purchase with and apple ID but I can't seem to find it.

Anyone recall where that was ? - I have all the paper work etc

2. netslacker macrumors 6502

As I recall, when mavericks was installed it would provision Aperture to your app store account if it was installed by DVD or download. There was no site to go to, it was automatic.

The error suggests that perhaps you have a different (second) app store account that has it(?). Maybe a different OS user performed the upgrade?

3. billhinge thread starter macrumors newbie

no I installed it, bought the DVD when it was full price about 2010 through my companies Apple purchase scheme. Got the DVD, serials, invoices etc. Just had to type in a serial number

It got upgraded automatically via app store when that came along right up through Lion, I then went direct to Maverick's when I did a full clean install and copied my apps from a backup disk, changing my computer account name but still using the same apple id

Aperture appears in the updates window but refuses to download, the old Lion version still works so not a major pain, more of an annoyance since some folk seem to manage to get trial versions upgraded :mad:

Rationale for my question was that I thought I previously found the apple site to do the association, unfortunately at the time I couldn't find the paperwork. I've now found the paperwork at the weekend but now I've lost the link!

4. garycurtis macrumors 6502

My new iMac was purchased a week before Christmas. It came loaded with OS 10.8 Mountain Lion. But when I logged onto the Ap Store icon in the dock, it offered me free copies of Aperture, Mavericks, Pages, Numbers, Keynote and a few others.

So after installing these, they all worked with the upgraded OS 10.9, and I have never looked back.

----------

My new iMac was purchased a week before Christmas. It came loaded with OS 10.8 Mountain Lion. But when I logged onto the Ap Store icon in the dock, it offered me free copies of Aperture, Mavericks, Pages, Numbers, Keynote and a few others.

So after installing these, they all worked with the upgraded OS 10.9, and I have never looked back. Try going to Software Update under the Apple Menu. But I don't think you can go backward in versions.

5. oikos macrumors newbie

I had a kind-of similar problem when I bought the Aperture 3 Upgrade DVD to run over my Aperture 2-DVD-installation. I called Applecare and they gave me a new authorization /license # to enter. There was also an issue that I had two Apple IDs - we picked one to use. When I bought a new Mac (mini), I had to install the Aperture 2 disc first, and use the new license #. I suggest calling Apple for a new working code.

6. netslacker macrumors 6502

It sounds as though Aperture hasn't been properly provisioned to your account due to the way you installed Mavericks and brought over the apps from ML. Had you installed Mavericks overtop of ML I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be facing this as it's during the install of ML that AP gets provisioned to your iTunes account.

Provisioning Aperture to your iTunes account is new and was only done when Mavericks was released and during the upgrade process from ML. Prior to Mavericks you could use App Store to update Aperture but not install it (had to have the DVD or buy it from App Store). Apple's message on this was that they wanted to move people away from the old method of supporting software and get them all using the App Store. So, if you had it installed during the Mavericks upgrade it would provision (add it to your "purchased" apps list) the app in the app store. At this point, it sounds like that did not happen in your case so App Store can't update it because it thinks you don't own it (hasn't been provisioned). I think you're only option at this point is to call Apple Care and explain the process, they'll likely give you an App Store code you can redeem.