Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjay33

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
When it comes to producing your DVD's, what system do you have for printing labels? I like Disclabel and have been a user of their for several years. Also, do you use inkjet or laser? I've used both. Like laser's longevity but not so keen on the photo quality of the labels I print. Inkjet is great with photos but the ink doesn't last as long. Any feedback or opinions is greatly appreciated

KeriJane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
ЧИКАГО!
Hello.

If you want really nice looking DVDs then you want to print directly on the DVD.

For this you need a printer that can print on disc and suitable printable DVDs.

I've been through this a bunch and the best looking way I've found is an Epson CD/DVD capable printer like the Artisan series or the 1440 combined with Inkjet-printable water-resistant DVDs with so the ink doesn't come off if someone cleans the disc with a liquid.

An added bonus is Epson's excellent Print CD software that's included with the printer... It's very easy and intuitive to use and you'll be producing great looking DVDs in no time.

The disadvantage to Epson is Ink Cost. The tiny cartridges empty out quickly and there's six of them. Any sort of volume production calls for a Continuous Ink System (CIS), readily available online by a zillion different vendors.

HP does make one model printer that can print on discs. It is more economical on ink but the blacks aren't very black and the included software is really bad. I ended up using InDesign with the HP and suffered through getting the printing centered.

Many Canon printers unofficially support CD/DVD printing. It seems that Canon disables CD printing on USA models but the capability is still there. eBay is full of Canon CD printing conversion kits. I've never tried using a Canon yet.

Have Fun,
Keri

bigjay33

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Hello.

If you want really nice looking DVDs then you want to print directly on the DVD.

For this you need a printer that can print on disc and suitable printable DVDs.

I've been through this a bunch and the best looking way I've found is an Epson CD/DVD capable printer like the Artisan series or the 1440 combined with Inkjet-printable water-resistant DVDs with so the ink doesn't come off if someone cleans the disc with a liquid.

An added bonus is Epson's excellent Print CD software that's included with the printer... It's very easy and intuitive to use and you'll be producing great looking DVDs in no time.

The disadvantage to Epson is Ink Cost. The tiny cartridges empty out quickly and there's six of them. Any sort of volume production calls for a Continuous Ink System (CIS), readily available online by a zillion different vendors.

HP does make one model printer that can print on discs. It is more economical on ink but the blacks aren't very black and the included software is really bad. I ended up using InDesign with the HP and suffered through getting the printing centered.

Many Canon printers unofficially support CD/DVD printing. It seems that Canon disables CD printing on USA models but the capability is still there. eBay is full of Canon CD printing conversion kits. I've never tried using a Canon yet.

Have Fun,
Keri

Thank you so much Keri. I did some research on those Epson printers and they look like the exact thing I am looking for. I will probably purchase the 810 model. Looks like it has better reviews than the 800. Thanks again for the great reply!

joaoferro37

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Vogon Planet Destructor
I use the R280 to print out wedding DVDs for my clients.
I also use ink refill system from ufosystem.com.
I love my R280 but at this point only very few shops have it in stock.
The artisan is the replacement for R280 and I am sure it works.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I bought some artison 50s and they work sweet. Mind you, my graphics aren't intense, but i'm not sure if that would matter.

much more professional than the labels and more importantly, you don't have to worry about the labels wrecking b/c of the heat.

a few things:
1. let the DVDs dry before closing the case
2. tell your clients not to play them for 24 hours. this isn't a strict rule, but it does allow the ink to dry

enjoy!

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
I have the Canon MP500. As mentioned earlier, it doesn't support disc printing, but the feature is there. I just had to get a disc tray off of ebay for a few bucks.

The quality and speed of the printer is pretty awesome. I use Epson printers at work and they're slow. I don't think the quality is as good either.

As for the software both Canon and Epson provide, I think it's garbage. Fine for simple text and stuff, but it's clunky and annoying. I usually just create my full label in Photoshop and then print that from the labeling software. If I could print directly from Photoshop or InDesign, I would. Who knows, you're probably even able to. I just haven't bothered to check into it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.