DVD Language Problem on Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sdonegan, Nov 29, 2008.

1. sdonegan macrumors newbie

Hello, I recently purchased a new mac pro, and wanted to use it as a media server in the future (using VLC and 5.1 output ). However, when I copy my movie DVD's to either OSX or Windows Vista and no matter what (if any) program I use they end up playing back in foreign languages such as Spanish or French. This also happens if I go into the movies and open the .vob files in VLC but not if I play the movie using DVD Player. I have not tried an external DVD drive, so I am not sure if it is the drive or the movies and I was hoping someone could explain to me how to fix this. The movies I am trying to load are all owned by me, not rented or borrowed movies which is legal to do.
    Thanks
    sdonegan

2. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

Does it happen when you watch the movies or just rip?

If it happens when you rip, check to make sure that the English soundtracks are selected in the application you are using.

3. sdonegan thread starter macrumors newbie

It happens when I rip the movie and when I go into the movie by opening it and then selecting and opening the movie .vob files with VLC. It does NOT happen if I play the movie with DVD Player or other applications. I have tried many different programs but the best one for OSX seems to be Mac The Ripper, and I do not see a language preference in the application. Nor did I see one in any other ripping program, and I didn't have this problem with my old PC when using some of the Windows programs.

4. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Try using HandBrake - it won't be the full DVD (just the movie) but I've never had an issue with a file not being in English.

5. sdonegan thread starter macrumors newbie

I have used Handbrake but I want the highest quality movies and Handbrake doesn't let you clone or copy the movie to your computer, it only let's you rip and transcode. And when you transcode you lose quality, not ideal for a Media server.
    Thanks

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I use MacTheRipper to copy just the Main Feature and then use Handbrake and encode it to H.264 @ 1500kbps.

When you use VLC, I noticed that you have to go to the audio settings and select Default Engligh or select it manually in the Audio drop down list. Don't know why but some movies seemed like they were French as default so I had to change it to Audio 3 or something like that.

7. sdonegan thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried using Mac The Ripper to copy the .vob files to a folder on my desktop and then using VLC to play them, after setting the language to "American English" it still plays in Spanish! I guess I could try using Handbrake to encode it but I am really trying to avoid encoding it because I want to play the .vob files in there native format!

8. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

9. sdonegan thread starter macrumors newbie

Region 1, as I am in the USA. :)