DVD made from DV in iMovieHD 06 / iDVD 08 jerky at times

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by OrganMusic, Sep 28, 2008.

1. OrganMusic macrumors 6502

Hello all.

Well I was preparing a DVD from footage shot on my Canon ZR-800 (consumer DV camcorder). This is captured via firewire into my new 2.8ghz imac in iMovie Hd 06. (I'm grateful that apple made this available as I quickly discovered that iMovie 08 is TOTALLY USELESS.)

I burned it with iDVD 08 (also nearly useless) and was not pleased with the result. Some shots seem to drop to a lower frame rate (perhaps being deinterlaced?) and others seem to have the odd dropped frame or other jerkiness. Other shots look just fine with the smooth motion.

These were all shot minutes apart in the same room on the same camera. The only difference I can think of is that I used "extract audio" on some shots to have better control over the audio when editing. But there seems to be no corroboration as some of the shots with extracted audio are smooth.

Is an hour a reasonable time to render 37 minutes of DV video to DVD? I could have sworn my old PC was a bit faster.

I never had any trouble of this type with Pinnacle Studio 10 on my old P4 windows machine.

I'm planning to get FCE and a better DVD burning program at some point.

Thanks all.

2. OrganMusic thread starter macrumors 6502

I should note this is all shot in widescreen standard def interlaced and I'm not looking to change that.

3. huntercr macrumors 65816

Do you have Perian installed? If so, uninstall it. I just read that on another thread with someone who is having problems very similar to yours with the frame rate weirdness.

4. OrganMusic thread starter macrumors 6502

No perian that I know of unless it's part of MediaLink

5. longmover macrumors member

Medialink should be fine, check your system settings for Perian, if it's there get rid of it, that sorted it for me and was a huge relief!

6. OrganMusic thread starter macrumors 6502

7. huntercr macrumors 65816

When you're seeing the slow down, are you playing it in a real DVD player or the Apple player?

8. OrganMusic thread starter macrumors 6502

It plays exactly the same in my regular DVD player, my PS3 and my Mac