dvd not detected - alarm sound

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by zurabes, Jan 22, 2009.

1. zurabes macrumors newbie

help,

when i entered any disc (dvd/cd), my mac cant detect it and instead there's like an alarm sound. after a few minutes, it automatically eject the disc without giving any error message whatsoever.

hope to hear from any experts soon

i'm using Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz

thanks,

2. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Could you describe the problem a little more please?

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Is this "alarm sound" coming from your speakers, or more of a loud "whhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" noise from the computer itself?

If the latter, that's your SuperDrive spinning up the disc, then rejecting it.

4. zurabes thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the response,

when i inserted the any disc (dvd/cd), my mac failed to detect the cd, and along come weird sound from the computer (the dvd/cd player itself i guess, definitely not from the speakers). my mac then automatically eject the cd/dvd without any error msg after 1 minute (for eg:faulty disc)

i've call the apple support team and they said that the basic diagnose is my optical drive is damaged. i've used the dvd/cd without any problem before. there was noise before (initial 30 second or so), but not as loud as to be compared to now. what might have caused it to happen? does long cd/dvd usage had caused the problem?

thanks,

5. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

Maybe the lens has a hair on it or something.