dvd not ripping with handbrake

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 2056, Dec 22, 2008.

1. 2056 macrumors 6502

i've downloaded the official handbrake app from the website and i'm using the 0.9.3 version which i believe is the most up to date.
    i've tried ripping the office season 2 disc 1 & 2 (brand new purchase-plays fine on computer/dvd player) and everytime i open the finished product in itunes the quality is very horrible.
    i've been searching through the forums to see what kind of settings everyone is using. no dice.
    i've tried searching through google to follow a couple of tutorials and get the basic gist:
    http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/tutorials/handbrake/index.shtml
    http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/the-complete-guide-to-ipod-video-conversion-mac/
    the video is still coming out very pixelated/choppy.
    i had a window pop up that handbrake had to quit suddenly so i deleted the app and downloaded again.
    i'm making sure i'm not running other applications.

I use a late 2007 model imac with a 2.0 Ghz C2D/2GB ram if that is relevant.

PLEASE tell me i'm doing something wrong here. i'm starting to get a bit frustrated..

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Do you have the latest version of VLC Player installed? The new version of Handbrake uses the decryption libraries from it now.

What are you wanting to use the rips for? iPod? iPhone?

3. 2056 thread starter macrumors 6502

oh, wow.
    hours of trying to figure out what's wrong and you come up with this simple solution.
    i just updated vlc, ripped an episode in about 10 minutes and it's working perfectly fine now.
    i feel like such a goof.
    yes, this is actually for my ipod touch..so i can have one of my favorite shows with me on the go!

thank you for your help and speedy reply!

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I just wanted to know what you were using it for so people could help you on the encoding presets. But it looks like you got it working now.