DVD on Itouch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by CrazyTexan, Mar 25, 2008.

1. CrazyTexan macrumors newbie

How or what program do i use to get my dvd's onto my ipod. i have so many movies laying around the house that i want to upload on my itouch but have no idea how.

2. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I'll contribute without dissing the way you refer to your iPod.

If you have a mac, download MacTheRipper.
    If you have a PC, use Handbrake.

Just google the programs... they'll be in the 1st or 2nd results.

To warn you: I have no idea the legality of these programs. I've never used them so I wouldn't really no....
    All I can say is: No one is responsible for you pirating movies.

Anyway,
    Cheers!

3. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

HandBrake also works on the Mac.

Both programs are legal, but it is illegal to rip any DVDs other than ones you personally own. I use MTR and HB together - MTR to rip say, five or six DVDs to the drive, then I use HB to convert them to a customized :apple: TV preset and let that run all night. You would want to use the iPhone/iPod Touch preset to rip them so they'd work for your iPod.

Links to said programs:

HandBrake
    MacTheRipper

4. James L macrumors 6502a

All I use on my Mac is Handbrake. It has an iPhone preset (which I modify slightly), and an average dvd movie takes about 45 minutes to rip. Add it to the iTunes library, google search for the cover art, and you are good to go!

5. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Of course you can also wait until they upgrade the Touch with the same drive sharing tehcnology they had to create for the AirBook. The Airbook has no optical drive so it lets you use a shared one from another PC on your network. If they would let you do that on your Touch there would be no ripping or file conversion necessary.

Then of course there is the secret seam in the side of all Touches. If you can find it and then find the hidden latch, the Touch will unfold to reveal an inside that is bigger than it's outside. You'll find an optical drive and a little projector system that will let you project your movie onto a wall or movie screen. I found the seam and latch when I had my Touch X-rayed. It still took me a week or so to get it to open up. I'm hoping a future firmware upgrade eases the process. It's clear Apple is keeping this feature to itself for now. ;)

And just to be clear, nothing I said in the previous paragraph is true. At least that's what Apple's lawyers have asked me to say. ;)

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

The process is basically the same on both the Mac and PC. Rip, then convert with HandBrake. The only difference is the program you use to rip the DVDs. On the Mac, as the above said, it's MactheRipper. On the PC side, the widely recommended program is AnyDVD.

And I will diss: it's the iPod touch, n00b.

7. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

DVD43 is a free alternative to anyDVD, I haven't tried it yet just discovered it.

8. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Believe it or not, under the DMCA in the US it's not even legal to rip DVDs you own if they're copyrighted and copy-protected, though no one's been prosecuted for it nor is anyone likely to be, unless they're foolish enough enough to conspicuously share they content, but this is something that's pervasively misunderstood in the US. Like a lot of people, I personally think it's an over-reaching law, and I hope people are working to get it changed, but for now that's what the law says. I only bring this up for people who are concerned about the legality of what they're doing, so they know what the law actually has to say on the matter.

9. AdrianoCardillo macrumors newbie

I guess it makes sense that you can't rip DVDs (copyrighted) you own, but it still really sucks. That's why 3rd world countries like Thailand are kinda cool when you can just buy any good quality bootleg DVD on the street...I know it's not fair so I guess that's why we live in the U.S.

10. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I'm aware of that. But who's going to sue you for ripping your DVDs?

11. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Right. I acknowledged that, and I think it's essentially a no-risk situation, I just point it out because your prior post ("it is illegal to rip any DVDs other than ones you personally own") implied that it's legal if you own the DVDs. You didn't actually say that, but someone could definitely read it that way. From reading lots of posts about DVD ripping, my impression is that a lot of people are interested in what the legality is -- it almost always comes up as it did in this thread -- so I thought it would be a good idea to point that out so people who don't know wouldn't get the wrong idea, that's all.

12. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

I can vouch for Handbrake. It's excellent if you have a Mac.

13. powersurge macrumors member

I keep having issues with the volume level on handbrake. Its always 50% lower than everything else even with boost. :confused:

14. trevorlsciact macrumors regular

not to get off subject but the vast majority live here because we were born here--100% chance

15. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Are you sure it isn't just the program you're using for playback? I've noticed that VLC is louder with the same volume than Quicktime.

16. Femfatal macrumors newbie

Help with Handbrake for DVD to I touch

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me, I have downloaded the handbrake download for my mac, but when i go to my source and DVD it says please download and install VLC media player to your applications if you wish to read encrypted DVD's.

I have downloaded VLC but i cant seem to understand what to do next, If anyone has any advice id be greatly appreciative.

17. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I recommend one of THESE. Plug a USB thumb drive into the bottom. Feed the video output of your DVD or VHS player into the top. Play the movie. Come back two hours and there will be a video file on the thumb drive you can play on your Touch. Forget tying up a PC for the job.

18. Femfatal macrumors newbie

Never heard of those gadgets it before and i get the point about not tieing up the computer, I still need to know a bit more about the gadget, Is it really quite simple if i buy the gadget suggested, do you think it would be straight forward for me to figure out, I find it all very confusing sometimes, I used to have a standard computer and i was able to convert my dvd's onto my itouch but then i bought an apple and its all different:confused:

Thanks for the reply also xx

19. ofiaich macrumors member

ofiaich

Hi everyone!

What kind of times can I expect the process to take using Handbrake?

I am trying with a dvd that is 2 hours 15 minutes long and get an estimate in the DOS window of 103 hours and increasing.

This is up to 139 minutes!

Output is to mp4 and I have not checked the large file size!

I guess I need to fine tune my output settings choice but not sure what is best.

Thanks!

Ofiaich :p

20. devburke Guest

It sounds weird, but now just go back and use HB, and it won't give you any trouble. It uses some of the libraries in VLC to rip DVDs. It used to do it on its own, but they removed that functionality for reasons I can't remember. So you don't have to use VLC, you just have to have it.

21. sunflowerfibers macrumors newbie

ok i am confused about ripping dvd to ipod touch..

Do i need two programs to do this? I to rip the dvd and one to load to ipod touch. i have a mac so do i just need macripper?

thanks and sorry i do not understand this.

22. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

This is all you need to rip dvd's that you own and put them in a file size that is optimized for your iPod Touch.

1. Handbrake
    2. VLC (from videolan)

Be sure to get either the 32 bit versions of both files or get the 64 bit versions of both files (do not mix). I recommend using the 32 bit version as of right now because Videolan is still working on getting the bugs out of the 64 bit version of VLC.

3. Start VLC (you need to run it once). Just let it load in and then you can exit from it with a command Q.

3A. Use smcfancontrol or something simular to rev up you fans. Handbrake is cpu intensive and your cpus will get hot. I set the fans on my 13" MBP to 5000rpm and my temp varies from 160 - 170F when I am encoding.

4. Start Handbrake, hit the source button and load in your dvd. On the right hand side of the window there is a button. Hit that and the slide out menu appears. On the slide out menu select the Ipod/Iphone Touch preset button. Then hit start.

You might want to tweak the audio (under the audio tap) but to each his own. I set the drc to 3.0... that makes soft sounds a little louder.