DVD on Mac to iPad.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iJordz, Dec 21, 2011.

1. iJordz macrumors member

Just wondering.

If I have a DVD playing on my Mac, is there anyway for it to show on my iPad by streaming it or anything ?

2. tourada macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Rip the DVD (assuming you "own" it), install Plex on Mac and iPad and enjoy streaming to the iPad in any location with Internet connection.

3. iJordz thread starter macrumors member

Never ripped a DVD before, How'd you do it?

4. tourada macrumors regular

Well, given that ripping is questionable, I won't be posting instructions on an open forum. You can message me if you want or pursue your own info if you please. Assuming you own a Mac, given your presenece in this forum, do a search for mactheripper and handbrake.

5. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

If you were to google on

mac rip dvd

The first hit would give you an excellent answer: the app Handbrake. The app has presets for a variety of formats, including the iPad.

What is questionable is that Hollywood has never given the green light for individuals to rip their own DVDs to play on mobile devices. That is sheer lunacy.

I see absolutely no issue in publicly advising others on tools to rip their own DVDs.

6. tourada macrumors regular

While I agree, not every country legalizes private copying of owned media. It is legal in the US to rip your own movies, but (for some odd reason) illegal to produce and make public ways of circumventing copy protection (such as DRM).

While it is in the OPs legal right to rip his owned DVDs, it is not in my legal right to tell him how on this forum.

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

8. fishcove Guest

Not according to the DMCA.

9. tourada, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012

tourada macrumors regular

Thanks, I misspoke. I intended to say: it is legal to copy your own movies that do not have a form of copy protection on them. If there is any copy protection, which any commercial DVD has these days, it is technically illegal to copy to a hard drive. Under Fair Use, you can make back up copies of your legally owned media (under certain provisions). However, DMCA makes it illegal to circumvent copyright protection and anti-piracy measures. So while you can copy a DVD under the Fair Use clause,DMCA says you are breaking the law by doing so. It's a legal catch-22.

10. FloatingBones, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012

FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

Why? What law do you think exists that prevents you from even discussing Handbrake, RipIT, or any of the other software enabling copying/viewing of DVD content on machines without a DVD player? If you search on Handbrake on the MR forums, you'll find hundreds of hits. I've seen Handbrake recommended on reputable podcasts like MBW and TWiT. I've seen feature articles in Macworld magazine.

If you think this activity is actually illegal, please tell us exactly why. And explain why you think that private messaging to the OP would have been legal. :D AFAICT, these claims are all FUD.

11. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

It's illegal to breath in the US.

Are you breathing right now? Somewhere, some agency is going to hunt you down and sue the carp out of you...

You could head over to the home theater area of this very forum and find numerous resources about how to rip movies you own.

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I suspect that tourada doesn't want to publicly post something that would make him an accessory to what the DMCA forbids. As you stated, countless resources exist for the OP to refer to.

13. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

The responder is presuming that a discussion of alternatives is somehow illegal. That looks like FUD to me. The reason I think it's FUD is that they won'd discuss any of the specifics why they think that way.

14. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

An even easier route: rip with Handbrake, import into iTunes and stream directly to the iPad's built in Videos app using Home Sharing.

15. transphasic macrumors member

Agreed. The Fair Use Act clearly allows for individuals to copy products they already own and use them as they see fit for their own personal, non-commercial use.

----------

The DMCA does not override the Fair Use provisions, and if tested in court any company trying to do so would lose.

16. b.c. macrumors 6502

this might do what you're looking for.

try Air Video app on your iPad plus the corresponding Air Video Server running on your Mac or PC. it won't stream a DVD already playing in the DVD Player app, but will stream all kinds of video files mounted on any volume on your Mac, and will even do live conversion if the videos aren't already in an iPad compatible format.

there's a free version of the iPad app which only has the limitation of the number of files and directories you can open at one time. The server software is free.

see the bottom part of this article for more info

17. Tagbert macrumors member

Only if there is a corporate lobbying the agency to put restrictions on breathing. It is entirely a coincidence that the company just so happens to sell Breatherators™.

18. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

The SplashTop HD app lets you stream anything going on on your desktop to your iPad... effectively allowing you to have a Desktop interface on your iPad.

So this allows you to stream a movie your DVD is playing to your iPad, even the sound to your iPad speakers.

19. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

1, you surely meant Blue-ray discs, not low-res, lousy DVD's...

2, the two models have exactly the same CPU power and H.264 decoder. That is, playback performance is exactly the same when used both software and hardware decoding. There are some demo videos also showing this; for example, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CZRGssEZYM

20. doboy macrumors 68000

Splashtop is the easiest way without ripping, encoding, etc. You can also pay Walmart $2 so you can stream it from the internet. :D