Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Assuming we get a widescreen video iPod next Weds. (about time!), I will shortly have one & want to cram it full of DVD video immediately.

Are there currently any threads here describing how to do so - noting that the current MR guide for 5.5G iPods & DVD ripping wouldn't work right, as a true video 6G should have a larger screen size/resolution/aspect ratio than the 5.5G.

Assuming the iPhone uses a similar screen to a widescreen iPod - are there threads here that describe how to rip video correctly for that format? If so, I'd appreciate a link.

Obviously, the basic procedure in the above MR guide (MTR, Handbrake, etc.), could still work - but I have no idea what settings would have to change, whether Handbrake can do them, etc.

I'm hoping to have the correct procedure in-hand by/before Sept. 5, so I can get the damn thing and use it as intended instantly.

Thanks.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
The current guide should work fine. I think Handbrake has a setting for the iPhone, which should work for the new iPods. The only difference will be changing the setting in Handbrake. Everything else should be the same.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
The current guide should work fine. I think Handbrake has a setting for the iPhone, which should work for the new iPods. The only difference will be changing the setting in Handbrake. Everything else should be the same.

Just going off the MR guide, it doesn't say anything about device-specific settings, but does have a line about "for iPod: reduce width to 320." That's one of those things I know would change, but I'm not sure what to. Would MPEG-4 be better with the new screen than H.264? Etc. These are the kinds of instructions I'm looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.