DVD Playback problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thirdhanddan, Apr 20, 2009.

1. thirdhanddan macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm on a 2x3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon mac pro, whenever i put a playable DVD ('real' dvd from a shop or a burnt dvd) the computer freezes, with the menu screen of the dvd sometimes appearing (but very distorted) or a black screen. With the only option seeming to be to hold down the power button ( p-ram reboot) and quickly pressing eject when the computer starts up again before it tries to play the DVD.

The computer is fine with Data DVD's and All CD's, just not playable DVD's. Also i'm using the supplied mac 'dvdplayer'.

Any advice or help?

Thanks

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Hmm, odd. Try going into  -> System Preferences -> CDs & DVDs -> set video DVD to ignore. Any better?

3. thirdhanddan thread starter macrumors newbie

no luck

When i do this, the dvd is recognized on the desktop without the computer freezing, but when i try and play the dvd it freezes again. The 'dvdplayer' application opens fine with no disc inserted without causing a freeze.

Thanks for trying... any other help or ideas would be great???

4. thirdhanddan thread starter macrumors newbie

Vlc

just downloaded VLC and the playable dvd's work fine when instructed to open in VLC! which is great, but would like to know why 'dvdplayer' caused the freezes is anyone knows??? Should i reinstall dvdplayer?

Thanks

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Try reinstalling DVD Player.app from your system restore disks with Pacifist.

6. budhadha macrumors newbie

I also experienced very odd behavior when I bough a new iMac. DVD Player was crashing half of the time during DVD playback. It even crashes when pausing, or when resuming from pause or when ejecting the DVD.

I've sent a crash report each and every time it occurs. :p
    Finally, Apple silently solved the problem during an update. It's not crashing anymore. My guess is that maybe there was something with my saved setting. I figured out that some of my previous setting was not supported but were not correctly cleaned when I switch computer (the switching also involved an upgrade from Tiger to Leopard).