DVD Player 5.0 freezes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cycloneseadoo, Feb 4, 2008.

1. cycloneseadoo macrumors newbie

The DVD Player 5.0 software in Mac OS 10.5.1 is freezing when most of my burned movie DVD's are inserted. Some work fine but most launch DVD player and then the screen goes black, then slowly fades to white, then coloured. The movie doesn't play and it doesn't respond when I attempt to force quit.

It's working fine running the DVD's on 10.3 with an older version of DVD player.

Has anyone else encountered this and are you aware of any patches to fix it?

2. ciarlinip macrumors newbie

Similar problem...

...but I guess mine is worse. I noticed problems with DVD Player when I tried to watch some region 0 DVDs in my PowerBook G4. The computer simply freezes, and command-option-esc does simply nothing. I have to turn the computer down. I tried to open DVD Player with no disc in the computer and the same thing happens.
    I'm really clueless.
    I can't tell you guys my DVD Player version since I no longer can open it, but I'm using 10.5.2 - latest update.
    Thanks for any input.

3. kdubya macrumors newbie

sounds like mine

I'm hoping to learn tha facts about the trouble surrounding my expierence with playing DVDs in DVD player. I use app v. 4.6.5 and my player worked quick and snappy until I inserted pirated dvds I borrowed while here in Iraq. These DVDs very rarely play on my laptop, even more rarely on my PS2 but usually always play on my portable player. So I began thinking perhaps this was a "region" assingment issue. Strangely my buddies who own PCs rarely come across the Iraqi DVD that doesn't work in their machine. Now, on to my current player problem. It is very often that my drive hangs up on any DVD inserted. Even DVDs from the states. Typically it's slow to recognize the DVD and boot the DVD Player. othertimes it begins to read the disc and then just makes a whimpering sound while never reaching full reading speeds and won't eject till restart. Some DVD titles can be found by running a source search from the latest Handbrake, where I then rip, compress and encode a copy that will play from whichever assinged player, but not DVD Player. Now oddly the drive reads and plays and rips audio CDs fine...so thats eliminated the "broken drive" possibility. It's been suggested that some of these Iraqi discs will cause a resetting of the region readability simply by trying to play. If this is the case then I hope a simply solution would be to trash the current app and reinstall from the system discs. I don't know wher to look to manually reset the regions for DVD Player or make any other hard resets for this app. outside of the adjustments in the prferences, I would like to try the trash app/reinstall option....(explained sheepishly) but I don't really understand the process of accomplishing this.....sounds grossly newbie ? It's 'cuz it's true. And without any tech support from other (expierenced) Mac users around me..... I don't trust "my not messing things up big time." Maybe someone has some expierence with anything described here could write a reply with help and direction, thnx

MB
    2 GHz Core 2 Duo
    1 GB 667 MHz
    129 GB HD
    OS X 10.4.1

4. ciarlinip macrumors newbie

Problem still here!

I'm suffering a lot. Tried to download and use InterActual Player, but it freezes as well.
    My last option appears to be VLC, which is able to play the movie, but simply sucks (terrible interface!). :(

5. Trip.Tucker Guest

You can easily skin the VLC interface with images and a template.

6. Enterprise8875 macrumors member

I have the same problem with my PowerBook G4. Does anyone have a solution to this yet?

7. sonomasoxfive macrumors newbie

Someone help!

Me too. Freezes up my Powerbook G4 12' After unsuccessfully trying to reinstall, I decided to try to get rid of the DVD player so I could reinstall. Didn't work. HELP!

8. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Anyone with an older version?? Idk how big the app is, maybe could post an older version for download somewhere? That might be against the forum rules though, not 100% on that. Seems like the best solution though. Or, could someone tell how to get the app off a Tiger install disk?