DVD Player and DTS

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by supun, Aug 30, 2009.

1. supun macrumors newbie

My setup consists of a optical fiber from my Macbook Pro to a Logitech Z-5500 sound system. Everything works fine, however I can't play DTS track through DVD Player.

If I use VLC, the screen on the Z-5500 says the digital content is DTS digitial, however in DVD Player I can't even select the DTD audio tack. I'd just use VLC, however the UI is kind of poor for playing DVDs.

Any idea on however to get DTS working through DVD player ... or a better DVD UI for VLC?

Thanks,
    supun

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

In DVD Player go into the preferences and look under Disc Setup and look under Audio.

Also, don't forget to go in the DVD menu (meaning the movie title menu) and select the right sound option. Worked for me.

If that still doesn't work, look under MIDI Setup in your utilities folder and you can manually select your output.

3. supun thread starter macrumors newbie

My "Audio" section of "Disc Setup" is grey'd out. If I select DTS from the DVD's menu, I don't get it. I do get audio, bit it looks like it changes to normal PCM. In the DVD Player's Features->Audio menu, the DTS track is grey out too.

BTW, this is DVD Player 5.2.0 under Snow Leopard. It might be something that has just been broken. I've just got the Z5500, and never ran it in Leopard, so I can't really say.

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Hm, I just remember playing Star Wars DVD and on my Yamaha all 5 speakers lit up on the display, meaning I was getting 5.1. What I did was play in the DVD preferences and MIDI Setup, which is in Applications>Utilities.

Does your Logitech setup support Dolby?

5. supun thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it does. I've gotten Dolby Digital watching a movie in iTunes. However I can't get it in DVD Player.

I'm testing right now. The DVD, Peter Gabriel's PLAY, support Dolby Digital 2.0, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround and DTS 5.1 surroung. The Z-5500 supports all these formats, according to the manual.

In DVD Player, none cause the Z-5500 to lock to a specific format. However they do sound different from each other. Does DVD Player allow pass thru? It's almost sounds like DVD Player is trying to process he audio stream before it gets out.

In VLC I have two choices "Built-in Output" and "Built-in Output (Encoded Output). DD 2.0 works in both, but the Z-5500 doesn't lock to a format. DD 5.1 will only play in the "Encoded Output" and the Z-5500 locks to Dolby Digital, which is correct. DTS 5.1 plays in both, but only locks to DTS digital (96-24) in "Encoded Output."

6. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Hm, not sure.

One thing I should say is the DVD has to be STOPPED to change this setting, meaning not even the Menu can be playing, you must close the window that the movie is playing in first.

Don't look for a "Dolby" option in the DVD Player menu, look for a sort of option that means basically the DVD gets to choose what sound option to use.