DVD Player and Region Codes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AlecEdworthy, Sep 19, 2007.

1. AlecEdworthy macrumors 6502

AlecEdworthy

Hello,

Does DVD Player (the Application, not the DVD drive) have any region code counter and/or lock built into it? My MacBook (May 2007) has a Matshita UJ-857E drive in it with firmware ZB0E and is RPC-2 (i.e. has a region code and will lock after a further four changes) but I also have an external drive (LG GSA-4167B) which has an auto resetting firmware on it (i.e. it is RPC-2, set to region 2 and currently has three changes remaining but at each power on it gets reset to this state so I can change it, move to two changes remaining and then power it down and back up and still have three changes remaining). If I use DVD Player to play a DVD in the external drive that is not region 2 it says that the region codes do not match and would I like to change it, reminding me that I have three changes left. When I then power down and back up the external drive it again says that I have three changes left which suggests to me that DVD Player does not ITSELF have a region counter/lock built into it.

I have also come across a piece of software called Region X which appears to be used by people with RPC-1 DVD drives (i.e. those drives which ignore region codes and do not lock) to change their region and 'reset the allowed changes counter' (to quote its documentation). What 'allowed changes counter' is this resetting (as the drive is RPC-1 there should be no counter there as far as I can see)? Does DVD Player have a region and region change counter built into it which comes into play if the drive in use is RPC-1 (and so does not itself care about DVD regions or counters) and if so is this dormant/non-existent for RPC-2 drives?

For those people with a recent MacBooks or MacBook Pros there have been quite a few RPC-1 firmwares made available over at rpc1.org. I am not sure whether posting a link to the forum posting at rpc1.org would be in violation of the forum rules but if someone can let me know one way or the other I will either post the URL or delete this part of my posting.

Thanks, Alec

2. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

3. AlecEdworthy thread starter macrumors 6502

AlecEdworthy

Should have known someone would have beaten me :p

I wasn't sure if posting links to that though could come under the part of the FAQ which says

hence why I decided to hang-fire.

Thanks, Alec

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I don't think there is a copyright or license law in force here. The whole region locking paradigm is, in my opinion, an illegal practice in itself.