Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewUsername

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 20, 2019
I just copied a few DVDs to my hard drive. I did this with Disk Utility, making a CDR disk image with CD/DVD master.

However, when I open the disk image and try to play it in the DVD Player app, it only works until the menu screen. If I actually play the movie, the sound and video become very weird, as if my computer is broken. It's useless.

But: when I open it with VLC, there is no issue whatsoever. If I play the DVD itself with the DVD Player app, there is also no problem. It only doesn't work when I open the CDR file with the Apple DVD Player app.

Anyone else with the same experience?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
This is intended behaviour. This is copyright protection at work. You can get handbrake to remove copyright protection, but if you just use Disk Utility it will not be playable by apps that do not bypass copyright protection

Reactions: me55

NewUsername

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 20, 2019
This is intended behaviour. This is copyright protection at work. You can get handbrake to remove copyright protection, but if you just use Disk Utility it will not be playable by apps that do not bypass copyright protection
Thanks a lot, that explains everything! Good to know there’s nothing wrong with my computer and my DVD. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.