DVD player copy protection error -70025

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by R.R.Mac, Mar 16, 2009.

1. R.R.Mac macrumors regular

R.R.Mac

I have had my macbook for just about 2 years now and I've had no problem with my DVD player. I have a MATSHITADVD-R UJ-857E in disk drive region 2. I have problems because everytime I enter a disk it says it cannot play and comes up with the error "The disk copy protection could not be verified. The disk cannot be played [-70025]. This is happening for region 2 and region 1 disks and Its really annoying me. I can play most disks on VLC but I really want to get this fixed. Also it is not working from previously ripped dvd's which used to work coming up with the same error. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks.

2. hunter3740 macrumors member

trying to save my movies

I like making backup copies of my movies (in Terminal.app: "diskutil unmountdisk /dev/disk2", "dd if=/dev/disk2 of=movie.iso bs=2048") and if the disk gets too scratched (i.e. I have kids), I can burn another copy (in Terminal.app: "hdiutil burn movie.iso"), but this is expensive and time consuming with dual layered DVDs and also requires that the kids pick and take movies.

Was thinking about just having the originals in a binder that never gets used and only having electronic copies on the computer (which will save having to buy DL-DVD and burn them); so, I run DVD Player.app, then double-click movie.iso, but then get the error in this (old) thread (about copy protection could not be verified [-70025].

If I burn the file, the DVD is fine (and yes, could use VLC, which is awesome freeware and won't care about the DRM, but don't want too; or, could use DVDshrink to make the .iso (and remove the DRM), but don't want to). Just adding to the thread and hoping someone has a way...