DVD Player doesn't recognize Subtitles burnt with Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fscarpa, Oct 22, 2008.

1. fscarpa macrumors regular

My DVD Player (Philips DVP642) reads divx and its corresponding subtitles when I burn a CD or DVD with a PC. However, when I burn them with Mac, instead of the subtitle icon, a question mark appears in the menu. If I get this CD or DVD burnt with Mac (that didn't work in the DVD Player), copy its files to the pc, erase the same CD or DVD and burn it again with the PC, it works fine!
    Does anyone know how to fix it?

2. fscarpa thread starter macrumors regular

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Subtitles are a big bugaboo for DVD writing. Many web sites go on about problems and issues with this, but it's something that has to be specifically supported by whatever software writes the DVD. how do you erase a CD or DVD anyway - they are write-once media. CD-RW or DVD-RW/DVD-RAM maybe, but not plain CD.

4. fscarpa thread starter macrumors regular

I'm using DVD-RW and CD-RW, erased with Disk Utility. Both don't work. I tried to burn directly with Finder and with Toast 9 Titanium (either as "Mac Only" or "Mac & PC" data disc - as "DivX Disc" it doesn't recognize the subtitles...), and all I get is a question mark in the DVD Player menu.