DVD Player has weird "mirroring" border in full screen

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Adam77, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Adam77 macrumors newbie

This is a little hard to explain, but when a DVD starts playing in the DVD Player application on my iMac, there is a weird border of about 1 pixel all around the edge of the picture that seems to be mirroring what's on the opposite side of the screen. For example, if there's something like a space battle happening (i.e. with a dark background filling most of the screen) and a ship explodes at the bottom of the screen, I'll see a thin, bright orangy strip of that explosion also up at the very top of the screen.

Oddly enough, this doesn't happen if I go into Front Row and play the DVD through there, it's only in the DVD Player application and only in full screen mode. Not a huge deal, but it's just really annoying the heck out of me. :confused:

Any ideas on what might be causing this and how to fix it? Thanks!

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

could you whip out your digicam and take a piccy? I am having trouble understanding your description. Sorry

3. Adam77 thread starter macrumors newbie

All I have is the camera on my very old phone, so I'm sorry this picture bites; I think you can get the basic idea though. This is a missile flying through space with a fiery trail behind it, and at the top of the screen is a thin strip of that tail.

Attached Files:

4. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

strange...almost like the video is being tiled...

5. Adam77 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

I've noticed the same thing, but it was on my Samsung upconverting DVD player (region 2), not my Mac.

That suggests it may have something to do with the disc/video on the disc, or at least how different players deal with that 'something'.

Sorry I can't help more, but I thought you might find the info of use.

7. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Is this something you see only in DVD Player? (Try playing the disc in VLC or some other video player.)

8. Adam77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, it seems to only be in DVD Player. I just tried it in VLC and it looked fine.

9. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

It looks as if there is a black bar at the bottom of the screen. Does that happen in VLC?

10. Adam77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, that's just the widescreen aspect ratio.

11. Adam77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Any other thoughts on how to fix this? I'm going to report it to Apple as a bug...