DVD Player (OS X App) not working

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Candlelight, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

Recently I had an issue with my superdrive and getting it to work.

I finally managed to fix the com.apple.boot.plist so now the superdrive connect and mounts a DVD and I can use apps like Handbrake on them and they work.

BUT... Apple's own DVD Player app fails to work (same error as in my other thread). As far as I can tell I've got it configured as I had under Lion, so all I can think of is it's a Mavericks thing

2. Jaypi macrumors regular

Jaypi

Do you have a screenshot or an exact error message?

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Another option (rather than trying to get the external drive to work with the DVD player app - is to use other software that can also play your DVDs, without the external drive limitation.
    VLC works very well: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

4. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

(Copy of reply I just made to your original post)

I just did an upgrade to my MBP, added an SSD and replaced optical bay w/HDD, made a DIY fusion drive, got external USB case for optical drive. I got this same error with DVD Player but VLC works just fine. I did this with mavericks and did not know it would disable DRM playability w/DVDs. I contacted OWC support since I got their data doubler kit, and this was their only solution. I did not know you could do a work around in Lion. I'm sure apple disabled that ability.

I am subscribed to this thread now...if someone finds a way to use DVD Player with the SuperDrive being external, I would also like to know!! :)