DVD Player Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by steedy, Dec 18, 2010.

1. steedy macrumors newbie

I hope I posted this in the right section.
    I own a Macbook Pro and today I realised that it wasn't reading any DVDs. It has read them before in the past but it won't now.
    Whenever I put the DVD in it waits for a while making it's regular sounds and after about a minute it ejects it, doesn't even read the disc or anything.
    Troubling.
    Can anybody please help me with this?? I have tried Safe Boot but that didn't do anything, and that's all I know of... What else can I do..?

2. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

Sounds like a mechanical fault with the SuperDrive. Have you recently dropped your Mac, or has it recieved any other kind of sudden shock?

3. steedy thread starter macrumors newbie

Not that I can think of... Is it worth taking it to an Apple shop?

4. steedy thread starter macrumors newbie

Um now I'm having another problem... I can't open any of my applications??? They just bounce in the dock a few times then stop without any 'running dot' thing underneath it...
    This is worrying...

5. steedy thread starter macrumors newbie

As I can't open any programs and after some research into this I have come to the conclusion that my hard drive is packing in (I think the DVD problem was due to the fact I couldn't open the DVD player, not because of a faulty disc drive), so I have ordered a new one. Hopefully that will sort things. :)

6. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Does it make an annoying, and pretty audible, clicking sound when its spinning up the disk? Just to finally stop and eject the disk...

My Mac Mini is doing that. A call to Apple turns up that it is a known issue, and I have to get to an apple retailer to get it fixed. Fun part for me is that the nearest apple retailer is 4 hours away...

EDIT: You posted your last post right before be lol. Do you have a way of testing the drive? Could be a software issue.

7. steedy thread starter macrumors newbie

Nu-uh it's been pretty normal to be honest as far as sounds goes, sounds pretty normal like it would just normally load up a DVD.
    Thing is the only two programs that seem to work is iTunes and Firefox (probably Safari too but haven't tried it) so whenever I put in a CD it reads it okay because it has iTunes to read it... but a DVD won't play because the DVD Player won't open to be able to read it in the first place...
    Aaaaaargh. :p