DVD Player stores thumbnails--Privacy alert

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by noodlehead, Sep 12, 2008.

1. noodlehead macrumors member

I was a bit disconcerted when I put in a DVD and thumbnails came up from a previous, different DVD I had played (Leopard 10.5.4, Player 5.0.1). What the....? This was nothing I told it to do--it just stored them. So, as there is apparently no "clear cache" button, the only answer seems to be: user > library > app support > DVD player > settings. I deleted all but the "Global" & "Shared" files. That worked for me. Didn't seem to disturb functions. Comments? (I am pretty new to Macs).

2. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I have a "friend" who is worried about his/her "privacy". He/she has a hydraulic press which houses the hard drives. In case there is someday a knock at the door, this "friend" presses a big, red button which turns on the hydraulic press and destroys all the hard drives. Each drive will be surely sliced into four or eight pie slices, I can't remember which. Four or eight, doesn't make much difference because they will be mangled badly.

Then there is the plastic fiftyfive gal drum of acid to put everything else in.

That should take care of those troublesome caches and log files.
    ;)

Just kidding.

Seriously, if you are concerned with privacy I would take some time to investigate where every cache, log and whatever else is hiding then set up scripts to clean it all out once in a while. For instance, do you know that every disc burn for each user is logged? Or that a COMPLETE browsing history is stored for each user? By the way, the latter is not cleared when you reset Safari.

I used to be freaked out by electronic trails but not so much anymore. There are a lot more important things to keep me occupied these days.