Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dadio2002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2005
London, Ontario
Since i am new to mac I just needed a little help with dvd player. I have a movie playing in widescreen, I want know how to fill the screen with my powerbook. If 15" are widescreen why are there black bars at the top and bottom?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Hmm... Sorry but I can't help you other than to say that although the PowerBooks are widescreen, they are still a different ratio to widescreen DVDs. It's something like 16:10 versus 16:9 from memory.

They should only be slim black lines though, right?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Yeah, the PowerBook display is 16:10 (1.6:1), whereas most DVDs are either 1.85:1 or 2.35:1. There will still be some black bars, but it's not as bad as with a 4:3 display.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
mad jew said:
But is there a way to watch movies at a 4:3 ratio? Even if it's just a crude zoom in feature.
In the Universal Access prefpane, you can turn on the zoom feature under the Seeing tab. That will work with DVD Player.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
iMeowbot said:
In the Universal Access prefpane, you can turn on the zoom feature under the Seeing tab. That will work with DVD Player.

Thank you very much. I know most movies really shouldn't be "zoomed in on" but there's the occasional flick that I reckon would be easier to watch if it used my 12 inch screen to its full extent. :)

Otherwise I agree with you Nermal.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
mad jew said:
But is there a way to watch movies at a 4:3 ratio? Even if it's just a crude zoom in feature.

10.4 Tiger's DVD player has this feature built-in. Go to the window menu and choose "video zoom" It has a couple of widescreen presets you can try out or you can adjust the zoom amount manually.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
VanNess said:
10.4 Tiger's DVD player has this feature built-in. Go to the window menu and choose "video zoom" It has a couple of widescreen presets you can try out or you can adjust the zoom amount manually.

Even better. Thank you. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.